Personally I cannot stand when people spray their stock calipers bright red. I lost count of how many normal looking cars ive seen with little, chipped red paint calipers peeking out behind some ugly ass wheels. That being said, if you have some nice calipers or your car came with sick brakes and you wanna paint them, go right ahead, and do it right with prep, paint and clear.

Anyway I have decided to spray the stock calipers on my car because they are very visible through the wheel and they are oxidized quite a bit. I really don't like the look of bare metal oxidizing (who does) so I ordered up some caliper paint. I've got a few choices here, silver or black and then clear on top to make it right.

What do you guys think, would silver be too much? Have any of you painted your calipers?

man i hate painted calipers

IMG00340-20100707-1650.jpg

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I painted mine black more for priotection from rust & corrosion that looks.

Every spring when I take the winter steelies off I clean'em, and apply a fresh coat by spraying into the lid of the rattle can lid and applying with a narrow foam brush.

I also paint the hubs of my rotors for the same reason.

Not flashy, but classy :drinks:

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

ok so black it is. i hate the way it looks now though, i gotta cover up this corrosion. the calipers are just bare silver metal now, and the car is silver and the wheels are painted silver (not chrome)... so idk the silver calipers would probably look fine. im going to lay down a base coat of silver then spray over black. that way we can see which is nicer, ill take some pics

edit: by the way, the accord has drums on the back and they were oxidized to hell also, i already painted them black and they look fantastic (unless you aren't focusing on them, in which case they blend in perfectly) I did that almost a year ago, no problems, just did a nice tape job and sprayed away

Edited by jconnway

I've seen silver and it just looks like new calipers. I would say either way works.

Just don't do what I did and use BBQ paint for the calipers. It holds up to the heat but not to road salt. I gotta redo them. I may or may not go silver I haven't decided yet.

Too many projects, too little time...

To me, it depends. I like powder coated ones ONLY IF THEY ARENT STOCK. Tiny stock painted calipers are a complete joke imo. Sports/ performance ones (usually 14"+) have the ability to look good.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

To me, it depends. I like powder coated ones ONLY IF THEY ARENT STOCK. Tiny stock painted calipers are a complete joke imo. Sports/ performance ones (usually 14"+) have the ability to look good.

I tend to agree. However, when stock calipers get all rusty and shitty looking, spraying them with a subtle color like black, silver or grey makes them look brand new and they stay like that.

So, I rotated the tires and sprayed the calipers and the drums in the back. Honestly, they came out fantastic.

image-5.jpg

image-6.jpg

I was going to stick with black but I did a base coat of silver just to see, and they matched up with the paint so well I decided to go with it. I sprayed two coats, let it dry and then clear coated, all with VHT caliper paint.

I did the same process for the rear brakes, but in black.

image-7.jpg

I'll put a picture up with the wheels on there tomorrow. And before anyone starts typing it, I know how to properly mask off the car so there is no overspray. These pics are after most of the stuff was taken off and all the coats were laid. :good: