Sonic Electronix

Levels, headroom & clipping?!

Alright. I got my AQ 1200d installed a couple of weeks ago, but just installed the remote gain knob over the weekend. The clipping light comes on well before I would normally stop turning it up and I'm a little stumped.

To set levels, I think I need to disconnect my rears (powered off the rear channels of the HU) so I can set the levels for my mid/high & sub amps without worrying about the rears. I don't even know how high my volume goes- I've only had it to 30 once on a quiet song.

If I set my levels set but I still feel like the sub can take more I guess I need more power? I RMS matched my RF P3 sub to the AQ1200 thinking it would be a perfect match (4ohm load). I guess I need more headroom.

I had no preconceived notions that the amp would be louder than my old Alping 3539 bridged, but am really surprised to see the clipping light on so early. Not sure if its the HU but I can't find another deck with 7 band EQ and tilt face? (my HU is down in front of my shift lever and w/o the tilt I couldn't see it at all, and the EQ gives just enough tuning that I don't need a dedicated outboard EQ)

Sigh- this I San expensive, time consuming hobby!

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

the rear speakers shouldnt matter at all when setting gains on a sub amp.

what is the audio source? radio, cd, ipod, hard drive? if ipod are you using it as a hard drive or are you using the audio out, 3.5mm jack? what are the settings on the EQ, bass boost at amp and hu? whats the sub level on the deck at?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

the rear speakers shouldnt matter at all when setting gains on a sub amp.

what is the audio source? radio, cd, ipod, hard drive? if ipod are you using it as a hard drive or are you using the audio out, 3.5mm jack? what are the settings on the EQ, bass boost at amp and hu? whats the sub level on the deck at?

Rear speakers are a constraint as I can only turn the HU volume up prior to setting gains as loud as the rears can go which I why I have no idea how ultimatley high my volume goes.

Source is my BB with Micro SD card using its 3.5mm jack to my Panasonic HU. Bass on the HU is flat, bass on the EQ is flat, bass boost on the amp is turned down all the way/off (double checked). Sub level on the deck is at +6 (max) but unless it is I don't get any bass. I have the gain on the amp all the way up- also needs to be or I don't get any bass.

It's almost as if my HU sucks for outputting signal, which sucks (I HATE wiring decks). It have triple, 4V pre-outs. (again, I know they're not 4V until nearly full volume but I don't know what that is)

Thanks for your assistance!!

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

so clearly 3 things wrong here that would cause clipping.

1. gain all the way up

2. sub level all the way up

3. 3.5mm jack as your input

so you have a USB input on that deck? if so, get a thumb drive and try using that. if not, try a CD. i bet you BB is cutting out nearly all the bass through its own EQ so you have to max everything out just to bring out the tiny bit of bass still there.

try that and report back

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

well your first problem is using your blackberrys onboard sound via the 3.5mm jack (this happens with any mp3 player when using the headphone jack on said device and patching it into your car stereo). These jacks normally clip very easy and send distorted sound.

So if you must use your black berry or any device thru the 3.5mm keep the volumes low on that device to prevent distortion and clipping :)

So if you must use your black berry or any device thru the 3.5mm keep the volumes low on that device to prevent distortion and clipping :)

Not to thread jack but where would you set the volume on and ipod when using a 3.5mm jack?

Not to thread jack but where would you set the volume on and ipod when using a 3.5mm jack?

my ipod video 5g clipped at 100% volume, was clip free at like 99% volume.

Archived