http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/23/6704362-police-on-radio-scanner-apps-thats-not-a-10-4

Yet again, things blow up. Your opinions? (Keep it civilized, this isn't a political thing, this is more of a personal idea.

My opinion: It shouldn't be against the law if it's being used normally, as they stated. I have one myself, that I use to monitor everything (Police, Fire, EMS, Air Medcom, Railroad, Public Works, etc) at home, but only use Fire (as that is what is permitted by our SOP's for the FD) when mobile, and Railroad when out trainspotting. I don't see how it could be improperly used unless there is enough evidence to proove the app was being used in addition to another crime. I like listening to police transmissions myself, kinda gives me an idea of what's going on today, and keeps me one step ahead of everyone else. I would NEVER think to use one to commit a crime, or anything of that sort. The laws are extremely vague, & should be discussed big time. Us normal people who like to just relax & listen and see what's going on, can't do that anymore thanks to some certain people...

Anyways, your thoughts?

POTATO!

Our tax money we pay to the states and feds cover this equipment. So we own them, we should have the right to use them and listen to them. Besides these apps are using streaming feeds to broadcast the info, I live in CA and here is the law:

California state law provides:

California Penal Code Section 636.5 Wrongful

Interception and Divulgence of Police Radio Communication.

Any person not authorized by the sender, who intercepts

any police radio service communications, by use of a

scanner or other means, for the purpose of using that

communication to assist in the commission of a criminal

offense or to avoid or escape arrest, trial, conviction,

or punishment or who divulges to any person he or she knows

to be a suspect in the commission of any criminal offense,

the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect or

meaning of that communication concerning escape from arrest,

trial, conviction, or punishment is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Nothing in this section shall preclude prosecution of any

person under section 31 or 32.

As used in this section "police radio service

communications" means a communications authorized by the

Federal Communications Commission to be transmitted by a

station in the police radio service. Leg.H. 1976 ch. 1129,

1991 ch. 515.

LA County ordinances are more restrictive:

13.10.020 Installing or using shortwave radios in vehicles prohibited without permit.

Except as provided in Section 13.20.050 of this chapter, every person who, without obtaining a permit from the sheriff or from the forester and fire warden authorizing him to do so, equips any vehicle with, or operates any vehicle equipped with, a shortwave radio receiver, is guilty of an infraction. (Ord. 83-0066 § 90, 1983: Ord. 5462 § 2, 1950: Ord. 4322 § 2, 1944.)

2 Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3D412 in a 4.75 cu. ft sealed box.

Alpine Type-R SPR-17S 2-way component 6.5"

Alpine SPR-57C 5" x 7" 2-Way Coaxial Speaker (Pair)

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

Stinger SPC122 Capacitor 1 Farad Chrome w/Blue Neon

Limo Tint All Back 5 Windows

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg

So if I understand this right you can't install a police scanner in your car (truck, van, ect...) and if you don't commit any crimes you have nothing to worry about.

That about it?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

So if I understand this right you can't install a police scanner in your car (truck, van, ect...) and if you don't commit any crimes you have nothing to worry about.

That about it?

Federal Law

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 119

CHAPTER 119WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS INTERCEPTION AND INTERCEPTION OF ORAL COMMUNICATIONS>§ 2511>

Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited

(g) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title for any person

(i) to intercept or access an electronic communication made through an electronic communication system that is configured so that such electronic communication is readily accessible to the general public;

(ii) to intercept any radio communication which is transmitted

(I) by any station for the use of the general public, or that relates to ships, aircraft, vehicles, or persons in distress;

(II) by any governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile, or public safety communications system, including police and fire, readily accessible to the general public;

(III) by a station operating on an authorized frequency within the bands allocated to the amateur, citizens band, or general mobile radio services; or

(IV) by any marine or aeronautical communications system;

Cornell University Law School-Full Version of Law

California Penal Code Section 636.5

Any person not authorized by the sender, who intercepts any public safety radio service communication, by use of a scanner or any other means, for the purpose of using that communication to assist in the commission of a criminal offense or to avoid or escape arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment or who divulges to any person he or she knows to be a suspect in the commission of any criminal offense, the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect or meaning of that communication concerning the offense with the intent that the suspect may avoid or escape from arrest, trial, conviction, or punishment is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Nothing in this section shall preclude prosecution of any person under Section 31 or 32.

As used in this section, public safety radio service communication means a communication authorized by the Federal Communications Commission to be transmitted by a station in the public safety radio service.

Edited by xStatezOfMindZx

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg

Here is a good link for the laws and map of the states showing you all the info.

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg

Ever notice when your are listening to a police scanner, you can hear the information about traffic stops. You get the DOB, current address and driver license information! Since these apps are streaming, there is a slight delay. So you are not really getting real time data.

Most of these apps buffer too much data anyways to be used for unlawful purposes!

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg

I don't know about everywhere, but by me nobody even uses radar scanners anymore. Unless its something like asking what everyone wants for lunch. A few of my friends have radar scanners but they say it was the biggest waste of money.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

I don't know about everywhere, but by me nobody even uses radar scanners anymore. Unless its something like asking what everyone wants for lunch. A few of my friends have radar scanners but they say it was the biggest waste of money.

Do you mean radar detectors instead of radar scanners? Anyways, I have used 4 different radar detectors over the years and I have to say the Valentine One is the cream of the crop! I have been saved on 4 trips already, haven't received any speeding tickets since I had starting using the Valentine One.

I don't think mobile police scanners will help you from getting a speeding ticket. Remember you can not stop POP radar/laser but you can get a heads up before its too late!

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg

Whenever I see police working a wreck, or multiple cars outside of a store for some reason, I'll turn it on, just to see what's going on.

Hell, maybe they'll say a description of the suspect, and they could be hiding out right next to me. Citizen's arrest time.

Edited by imnotmikal
On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Whenever I see police working a wreck, or multiple cars outside of a store for some reason, I'll turn it on, just to see what's going on.

Hell, maybe they'll say a description of the suspect, and they could be hiding out right next to me. Citizen's arrest time.

someone tried to citizen arrest me and a bunch of my friends this year. We were all drunk and she told us to stay still and that she was gonna call the cops and everything would be alright, after we told her to fuck off the (what was probably 60 year old) lady tried to grab onto us and try and put us in the back of her car.

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress