Second Skin Audio

power vs cone area

Always wondered this too, say you had 2 12" DC level 3s on 1.2k,But then against a 15" level 4 xl on 1.5kWhich would be louder? Or would too many variables like the box etc come into it?
I was actually talking to Jeff about this the other day regarding my next setup. I was wanting to do 2 level 3 15's and upgrade to xl's in the future, but he said it would be a better idea to just do 1 xl 15 for now and buy the other xl later on. He said that having the 1 xl 15 would be just as loud if not louder than the 2 level 3's (this was going to be on an aq2200, 1100 rms on each level 3, 2200 on an xl.)

Really? Guess that shows it :drinks: kinda gives an idea of the gap between the level 3`s and level 4 xls too.

Cone is king
ummm for comps POWER is kingthats how you get 2 18's over a 160 vs 16 12's doing a 157

I have seen this for sure, theres a video on youtube of a team doing a 172.3 i think it was on a single 18" dc xl spl on 35000 watts, only reason they couldnt go higher was because the cone folded.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Always wondered this too, say you had 2 12" DC level 3s on 1.2k,But then against a 15" level 4 xl on 1.5kWhich would be louder? Or would too many variables like the box etc come into it?
I was actually talking to Jeff about this the other day regarding my next setup. I was wanting to do 2 level 3 15's and upgrade to xl's in the future, but he said it would be a better idea to just do 1 xl 15 for now and buy the other xl later on. He said that having the 1 xl 15 would be just as loud if not louder than the 2 level 3's (this was going to be on an aq2200, 1100 rms on each level 3, 2200 on an xl.)

Really? Guess that shows it :drinks: kinda gives an idea of the gap between the level 3`s and level 4 xls too.

the gap between level 3's and 4 really isn't much..quite a few people prefer the 3's over 4's actually.

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

Cone is king

ummm for comps POWER is king

thats how you get 2 18's over a 160 vs 16 12's doing a 157

Assuming you've done proper structural reinforcement and box tweaking..

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

In case I missed it what kind of vehicle is this going into? To me that is the most important question to ask before deciding what size sub and how many to go with. That is unless you plan to just wall it, then pretty much everything is game.

For example, there are several accounted applications where a pair of 12's have been louder in a small hatchback vehicle versus a pair of 15's. Even with both size subs in the proper airspace the actual area around the enclosure plays a big part in how they will act in vehicle.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz