Second Skin Audio

Port Area vs Box Tuning: Please help, getting frustrated.

Okay, so heres my problem. The suggested specs for my Fi BTL is 12-14 port area per foot, and a tuning around 32hz. Heres the issue, I can't get one right, w/o messing up the other. So, which is more important to get...the tuning or the port area/foot? I can get close to 32hz w/ port area around 4 or 5"/ft, or I can get almost 12"/ft with a tuning around 37hz. I've tried alot of things from manipulating box sizing, to aeroports and slot ports, different sizes and different number of ports. Can anyone tell me which you would do, or if there is some secret to getting both at the right number that I don't know about? Thanks...

mivtCK.png

Okay, so heres my problem. The suggested specs for my Fi BTL is 12-14 port area per foot, and a tuning around 32hz. Heres the issue, I can't get one right, w/o messing up the other. So, which is more important to get...the tuning or the port area/foot? I can get close to 32hz w/ port area around 4 or 5"/ft, or I can get almost 12"/ft with a tuning around 37hz. I've tried alot of things from manipulating box sizing, to aeroports and slot ports, different sizes and different number of ports. Can anyone tell me which you would do, or if there is some secret to getting both at the right number that I don't know about? Thanks...

defiantly dont do 4 port area per foot.. that would be worthless as all hell.

port area is way more important. tuning is personal preference

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Your common wall setting may be messed up, give us more info so we can plug it in and help with figures. Need box specs your wanting or max specs to design a box. Lengthening the port drops your tuning iirc. Figure out how wide and tall you want your port, then I just adjust length and fiddle with the specs a tad.

If you use aero ports you don't need as much port area. I've heard 9-11 inches per cube is fine for aeros. Less port area = shorter port.

You can hit me up with some specs and I can see if I can whip you up something. Let me know the max dimensions, size of the sub, how much power it will be on, and deisred tuning.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Okay, so here's a Halfway 3D paint view of what I'm working with. Please note that before moving on to the torres, the width must stay at 39" due to the fact I want it to fit all the way across the hatch, and the height can not go over 18.5" tall due to the fact I do not want it sticking up over my rear seats. I want the sub facing front so that I can fold the rear seat down and show it off, and the ports will be facing up. Also please note I'm looking to use aeroports instead of slot ports on this build.

aeroport15boxPAINT.png

And this is the best torres I could come up with. Tuned a little high for my preference, but I would work with it.

aeroport15box2.png

mivtCK.png

Archived