Mustang Restoration Build, 2011 Edition

Welp, a lot of stuff has been going on. Long story short, pictures.

First thing, engine time!

IMG_0477.jpg

Also, if anyone remembers the 2 18's I had in my probe, here is the final resting place of the remains of the box.

IMG_0478.jpg

Minivan was excited to have a v8 chillin in the back

IMG_0479.jpg

Then, baby showing off the new engine mounts!

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

K, so here is one of the holes for the reverse lights on the rear valance. I took them out for obvious reasons. This is one of the final places I believe to be the original color of the car.

IMG_0493.jpg

As you can see.... its basically the same as the primer, lul.

IMG_0494.jpg

Back side of the valance blasted.

IMG_0495.jpg

Front side of the valance blasted.

IMG_0496.jpg

Next I set my sights on some of the rear portions of the car. Obviously, it isn't that great looking, but in the defense of the ol mustang, not all of the red is rust, the original primer is a red color. This is one of the places it shows up.

IMG_0497.jpg

Drivers side.

IMG_0498.jpg

Unfortunately this is all I got done before shutting down for the night tonight.

IMG_0499.jpg

Had a lot of problems with the sandblaster today. I didn't get pics but obviously sand moving at speed wears down the components of the nozzle, and recently is when it decided to take a dump on me all at once. Spent a good bit of the day sourcing the parts for it. (turns out it is hard to find a 3/8 npt to 1/2 inch hose barb) Got a new nozzle and makeshift fitting (push on 3/8 with the absolute crap clamped out of it) put on and then the hose on the sandblaster end blew. cut it down a bit, put it back on and the clamp broke. Long story short, cut out some time. Moving on, planning on a good day tomorrow.

Hey kids. It's me again.

So. Once again, long time since an update. Well, part of what happened was I spent almost a full two days wrestling with the sandblaster. Several of the internal parts decided to crap out at the same time. (I mean they do have sand flowing through them at high speed I guess) But, once I replaced the nozzle, the sand kept getting stuck. Etc. Then more stuff broke. Anyway, I resorted to using silica sand. Pretty much the worst thing you can use, but I use a full respirator mask so maybe ill live. Anyway, here is the progress.

This is right before I painted. As you can see I decided to do the underside of the roof. If you look at the previous pics, the roof is covered in this black tar like crap that was horrible to get off. A combination of the wire brush on the angle grinder and some good ol sand eventually got it off. The tint you see is hopefully just slight remains of the original primer. None of this will ever be seen, and the primer I will be using will take care of it even if it is actually slight surface rust. Either way you can pretty much only see it with the flash, in person it was pretty good.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

And sprayed it. This is only a single cote in most places and I didn't get some due to not all of the sand being out of the car. Ill be pulling it out tomorrow and blowing it out at which point ill be able to throw some more on.

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Long story short, I leave tomorrow for Officer Candidate School with the Marines, so this section of the build is about done with.

Thanks.

Im on the air track right now. Ill be graduating with an Electrical Engineering degree though so who knows where it might lead over time. Definitely a long way to go before ill be any type of sir though, lol.

Are you in the service?

Also, made a thread about it here:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114270-marine-officer-candidates-school/

Well, this will be my last "update" for awhile. Pulled it out today and blew it off and threw on some body parts just to get them out of the way. I didn't take the time to align anything so pretty much everything is a bit off. Ill let the pictures do the talking. You will also see the first time ive gotten a picture of the new front fender and valance.

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

Put the cover on so it doesn't get crap on it again, literally or figuratively

IMG_0532.jpg

• 2 months later...

Your build log looks good so far. All your sand blasting is looking great, I would really like to do the same to my car before I put it all back together. Can't wait to see you next update, keep us posted.

2 15"s Re-coned with a Custom re-cones with DD 9500 coils, Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bd, Designated Aux. 190 amp Alt@ 15.5 volts, Duel High Rate Aux. Batts. Doing 143+'s (current box and subs haven't been metered), 1st place in 129.9 Bass Race and a 2nd and a 3rd in NW DB Drag in the last two shows. Only gone two 2 show total thought, so not to bad

• 2 weeks later...

Well, been a few months. As stated in various places, I was out of state for close to two months for a thing. Got back late Aug about a week before I had to be back to start school back up. Obviously nothing happened while I was gone. When I got back I had a little bit of time but a lot of stuff to do. But, I had to clean up the garage. Turns out my air compressor (the most powerful one that I was using) blew up the day before I left. Had a hard life, so I guess its understandable. But, this discouraged me from doing any more blasting when I got back because it would have meant super long wait times for the blaster to fill up. So, I just ended up cleaning up the garage. But, I also spent another $800 or so on parts. Picked up the passenger side fender, the cowl ($360 :trippy: ) gas tank, filler neck / sexy cap, and some random trim pieces for the front end. I have almost all body pieces I need now, just need to do work on them.

Been busy, but yesterday I was able to take a trip home to do a little bit of work. Didn't get a whole lot done, but feel free to check it out.

First thing I did was to take off a door. I do have a place to work on stuff at school, and the door is something that still needs a lot of work. Eventually ill be bringing the entire car but can't quite yet.

As you can see stuff still is tending to get stuffed around it while im gone, but I have been successful at keeping people from putting stuff on it. I green lighted the boxes on the back, but only because they are my things (new gas tank and old fender) and they are on the trunk, which is either being replaced or stripped again.

IMG_0643.jpg

Obviously I already have the door off and stuff out.

IMG_0644.jpg

One other change in my life is a new GF. Turns out she knows how to weld! So she volunteered to do a bit of welding on the floor pan. Didn't have enough time to get too much done and I couldn't find a piece for my angle grinder, but hey. There will be more time.

IMG_0648.jpg

Thought this was pretty cool.

IMG_0651.jpg

And threw some pieces back on. I can tell im going to have to take a good amount of time getting all the new parts to line up, but I was planning on that happening. Obviously the cowl is just sitting there, and will take a massive amount of time to actually install when the time comes.

IMG_0653.jpg

Well, long read, but I guess thats what you get when 3 months pass. Hopefully ill have some more exciting updates in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

Chick that weld = KEEPERS....

I definitely don't disagree.

anyway I got a little bit more time to do some work the other day, pretty much everything I did can be summed up in this pic though.

IMG_0805.jpg

Obviously the welds still need a bit more grinding, and my welder is making me mad now that I have used a gas mig for some school stuff. Oh well.

Finally did some work huh? Bout damn time lol. Jk btw his chick is pretty cool. And if we get to a point where we can work on personal projects here I might be able to tow your stang here sometime if you need it.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Archived