Mustang Restoration Build, 2011 Edition

Well, went to a park today, still got a lot done. Unfortunately it still doesn't look like much.

Stripping the interior, again. What is on it is single stage self etching, not like the rest that is two stage self etching, so I figure since it will be under sound deadening and carpet, might as well bring it back to bare metal and por-15 it.

IMAG1146.jpg

Ground down, still two spots to weld

IMAG1148.jpg

Some stripped spots. Ill be going over them quickly with the sandblaster before I repaint

IMAG1151.jpg

Welded in the last spots and filled in a couple pinholes I could find with a light behind. Not surprizing there were several considering the gaps I had to fill. Stupid porely made replacement pannel.

IMAG1152.jpg

And here is where I left it for the night, almost ground down again.

IMAG1153.jpg

Only one more full day to go, we will see what I can do.

Well, once again my day was destroyed after I was told it is time to get rid of two of my now scrap cars. One of the things i still needed to do was take the fuel pump out of one of them, which will later make its way into the mustang, so maybe it isn't all bad. Indroducing Walbro 255:

IMAG1156.jpg

The toe pan is now mostly in. short of one area. As previously mentioned this replacement pan sucked in terms of fitment. One of the problems was the lip was turned down, which went strait into the torque box. So, I cut it off right at the edge, which mimics how the stock one was. However, there was now this big gap:

IMAG1158.jpg

It seemed like a difficult area to weld in a flush filler panel, so I made a piece that overlaps a bit:

IMAG1159.jpg

And it welded in:

IMAG1160.jpg

A little more grinding took place, I forgot to take pics. As previously mentioned, the gf stripped down the paint from a lot of the floor so I could por 15 it. She did strip all of it, but due to a couple spots I still need to replace and weld up, I didn't sandblast (for paint bonding purposes) and por15 all of it. However, Im hoping this is the last time I have to touch these spots until time to put on deadener and carpet. Here is what is now black:

IMAG1163.jpg

Good work man. I wish I had the knowledge to restore an old stang. Hope your able to see it through as it will all be worth it! Keep up the good work!

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

• 1 month later...

Good work man. I wish I had the knowledge to restore an old stang. Hope your able to see it through as it will all be worth it! Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words

Any progress in your build?

actually, yes! slightly.

Coming along nicely.

My dad has a 69 Mustang Grande with 17k original miles. It took a bit to get that thing running again. It needs to have the radiator rebuilt though, so that will happen this summer most likely.

Wow, that thing hasn't been driven much

Anyways, there has been some slow progress since my last update in places. However, it has mostly been just cleaning up the welds. Due to my crappy flux core welder, I get crappy welds, which means a lot of time cleaning them up so they look halfway decent, and then fixing the pinholes. Unfortunately any progress with this can't really be seen in pictures, and considering Im at school most of the time and my spring break was spent putting a sub in my and my gf's dd, not much has been done.

However, I decided to go home this past weekend and got a little bit more done:

The rear seat pans weren't in all that bad of shape, so I didn't plan on completely replacing them. But, there were some spots with a lot of holes so I figured id just replace what needed done. Ill let the pics do the talking.

IMAG1323.jpg

IMAG1325.jpg

IMAG1326.jpg

IMAG1327.jpg

IMAG1328.jpg

IMAG1329.jpg

IMAG1331.jpg

IMAG1332.jpg

IMAG1333.jpg

Also cleaned up the toe pan some more, not that you can probably tell

IMAG1334.jpg

And did some more to the passenger side as well.

IMAG1335.jpg

So now I feel the inside floor is pretty much completely done, as far as metal goes. The back sides of the welds have been moderately grinded underneath, but they do still need some more work. The next thing to do is to blast the rest of the inside floor AGAIN, so I can por15 the rest of it. The underside also needs finished cleaning up, and I will por15 that as well. Most of the underside is already good though, because it had self etch put on before I welded it in, so its mainly just the transmission tunnel that still needs the crap cleaned off.

Obviously the rear wheel wells are also not in spectacular shape, especially the passenger side. However Im still not sure what I want to do with them... Ive considered doing some form of a small tub, which could still happen, so I don't feel like doing anything to them yet. We will see.

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I borrowed a buddies 315 tire just to see how it would do. I knew it wouldn't completely fit, but it isn't too far away without any mods at all. Im thinking once I free up some room 295's will go well. I also did more grinding and cleaning up under the car but couldn't/didn't get any good pics. Bout to head home again so more is to come.

IMAG1389.jpg

IMAG1391.jpg

IMAG1387.jpg

IMAG1401.jpg

This shows off what is essentially the last major part on the car Ive yet to clean up

IMAG1404.jpg

Also, I recently got an internship job offer for a company that is close enough to my house that I will be able to live at home, which means more mustang work. Pretty well paying to, so more to come in the near future

• 2 months later...

Long time no post. Instead of dumping thousands into the mustang this summer I bought a new car. But, I have been doing a bit. Finished the floor, it is all black top and bottom now. I forgot to load pics, ill try to get some later. The major progress is this. pic dump time!

IMAG2013.jpg

IMAG2014.jpg

IMAG2017.jpg

IMAG2016.jpg

IMAG2019.jpg

IMAG2018.jpg

IMAG2021.jpg

Archived