So I changed the oil in the wife's 08 Grand Caravan late Saturday night. When I started it after re-filling with new oil I heard a "pop" so I shut it off and found the contents of her oil pan dribbling down my driveway. I quickly got it back up on the ramps and when I unscrewed the oil filter, both o-rings fell into the oil catch bin, completely free of the filter body.

WTF?

I've never seen this before- not sure if I under/over-tightened the filter or if it's a shoddy Dodge product?

-Factory Dodge filter from dealer

-tightened as tight as possible by hand

-Pre-filled filter with oil and lubed o-ring with fresh oil to make seal

-Filled engine with correct amount of correct viscosity oil

Any help/opinions for future? I've probably changed oil 100 times (literally) and have never had a problem like this before.

Thanks!

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

So I changed the oil in the wife's 08 Grand Caravan late Saturday night. When I started it after re-filling with new oil I heard a "pop" so I shut it off and found the contents of her oil pan dribbling down my driveway. I quickly got it back up on the ramps and when I unscrewed the oil filter, both o-rings fell into the oil catch bin, completely free of the filter body.

WTF?

I've never seen this before- not sure if I under/over-tightened the filter or if it's a shoddy Dodge product?

-Factory Dodge filter from dealer

-tightened as tight as possible by hand

-Pre-filled filter with oil and lubed o-ring with fresh oil to make seal

-Filled engine with correct amount of correct viscosity oil

Any help/opinions for future? I've probably changed oil 100 times (literally) and have never had a problem like this before.

Thanks!

You do realize that an oil filter only has one sealing ring on it right? sounds like you didnt get the old one off of the oil filter adapter housing from the old filter that stuck to the housing b4 putting the new filter on therefore pulling the old double gasket OOPS deal.

Don't feel bad, even people that get paid for a living to change oil make this mistake. Unfortunately most of the time they also end up buying the customer a motor after what happened to you happens. Changing oil can be a killer. you make the least amount of profit off an oil change but one screw up can cost you the most expensive repair there is with an engine replacement.

Edited by kandiman71874

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

What Kandi said. Should be one ring, not two.

Ot, Just changed my oil yesterday. Full synthetic ftw. Cars never run better.

Ahhhhhh- thanks guys! Have never seen an o-ring stick to the adaptor plate before either; will check for that going forward.

I wouldn;t waste synthetic on this P.O.S. disposable Dodge. It gets whatever brand name oil is cheapest at Wal-Mart.

We both hate the van and and can't wait until our daughter doesn't need her stroller so we can get something a little rmsaller & nicer, or it craters, whichever comes first.

My Nissan on the other hand, has had syn. oil since 5000km and purrs like a kitten at 208,000km of daily beatings. I LOVE that car :yahoo:

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

Thats more common than you think and happened at least 2 times a day or more when i used to work in an oil & lube shop years ago, most important thing you can do is to make sure the old filter has its ring still on it after you pull it.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2