8 ohm mids/tweeters

hi all, I have done a bit of research about 8 ohm speaker and tweeters and i understand that the point of them is to reduce distortion for a clearer sound and that 8 ohms speakers/tweeters increases resistance therefore reduces power output from a 4 ohm amplifier, but i dont know how much power i will be loosing.

i know i have 2 options either try and match the 8 ohm speakers with a 4 ohm amplifier (connect a 200 watt rms 8 ohm speaker to a 200 watt rms 4 ohm amplifier) and deal with the power and db loss, or i could connect i slightly higher powered amplifier to the speakers and hope the power is the same once it has been converted to 8 ohm power (connect a 200 watt rms 8 ohm speaker to a 250-300 watt rms amplifier)

i have decided to go with the second option but i dont know how much more power i will need in ordor to get optimum power to the speaker. any help would be much appreciated.

Are they just regular speakers the you are going to use on a four channel? How many speakers, and what kind of setup are we talking?

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

8ohm speakers allow you to connect more of them together before going to low of an impedance for the amp to run them, depending on the amp chosen it may or may not sound better playing at an 8ohm load then at it's nominal impedance.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

i am basically looking at replacing all my exsisting 4 speakers in my doors and the other 2 in my parcel shelf with 8 ohm speakers because i am after clear sound rather than just loud sound, i dont want to connect 2 of them in parallel to make 4 ohm because to me it seems to defeat the perpose, i thought that by going with a higher impendance load would increase clarity with the sacrifice of power.

these are the speakers i am looking at going with: http://www.audiosavings.com/products/Car-Speakers/BEYMA-6MI100-6.5-8-OHM-500W-MIDRANGE-MID-BASS-SPEAKER/6MI100.aspx

oh, I see. Due to the high sensitivity of the driver, I think you'd still get excellent output from it, even though it is a higher impedance than normal car speakers. I doubt there would be much clarity to gain out of running an amp at 8 ohms per channel, vs 4 ohms though. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Autruche

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

generally, if you double resistance you get half the power. so aim for an amp that does 2x the power at 4ohm.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

whats overkill? i have 500w to my 100w 6.5"s. i prefer to call it headroom. :good:

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

think i would notice if my speakers were not working?