Second Skin Audio

More Bandpass Questions; New question post #52

Ive come across several instances where inverted was quieter than normal mount. I could meter mine and see one day but idk if i care that much..

imo its pretty clear why inverting is quieter in many instances, there is only one output wave in a 4th order... so inverted, your output is coming off the back of the sub and is blocked somewhat by the basket motor assembly where as normal mounting there is absolutely nothing in the way of your output wave.

i think we all can agree that a smooth path for your output wave = better numbers hence rounding the port wall and 45's in the port corner.

im sure there are many other variables that contribute especially given the complexity of 4th orders but at least the above stands out to me as a pretty cut and dry explanation.

Ive always mounted my subs normally in this 4th order. I got my DD in and mounted it inverted for giggles, and it sounds great to me. When I get a bigger amp id much rather be able to smell the coil than to gain 2db max for daily. for comps that 2 db would be huge.

some advice for you though. If your going to do a small 4th order ie:. 1 12 plan to make a removable wall or something for easy access to the sub so you can quickly change it out if you want. In larger 4th orders ive seen you cou or at least my little ass could get in the port pull the subs out through the port no prob. but with 1 12 thats impossible. my box has the bottom panel thats siliconed on so i take out the screws and pry it off.. its a huuuuge pain, and i have to resurface (sanding and more sanding) and re silicone when im done and want to get back to playing..

just my .02 :P

also even though i could climb into the port, hoisting up heavy azz nightshades in a cramped area sucks..

but trying to fit your drill into a very limited space while holding a level 5 motor would be difficult as well so try to take that into account

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

mount the sub on the other internal panel in that pic... and make a piece of wood to block off that wasted volume that would have been infront of the sub

^ that if it leaves enough ported volume.

i would side fire it tho.

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

mount the sub on the other internal panel in that pic... and make a piece of wood to block off that wasted volume that would have been infront of the sub

The open space is where the trunk steps up towards the back seat, the sub won't fit there. Also, with the overall dimensions of this design, I can put it in and out through the trunk. Just need to know if the 4.5" between the sub and loading wall is too small.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

the air to the left of the sealed chamber (back left corner) will hardly move. the way it is now will restrict air flow.

voting side fire sealed section... :ehh:

Sealed in the same spot, but sub sideways?

What if I move the sealed part to the front(next to the port opening) and have the sub firing towards the back?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

the air to the left of the sealed chamber (back left corner) will hardly move. the way it is now will restrict air flow.

voting side fire sealed section... :ehh:

Sealed in the same spot, but sub sideways? yes, but make the sealed section the whole depth of the box.

What if I move the sealed part to the front(next to the port opening) and have the sub firing towards the back? that may work too...

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

I would like Alpine to respond about why it shouldn't be inverted. Trying to get as much information as possible.

the sub being inverted doesnt change much of anything sound wise.

you would be happy with the sub being either way.

inverting it allows it to cool off better so during low notes the heat isnt just building and building in the sealed area.

idk if you figured this out yet but im at the beginning of the post so sorry if im just restating information you already know

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

Archived