Sonic Electronix

DC Level 3 15's are more like $200+ including shipping. Personally at that price I'd just get the SA-15 for $240 on ebay. 500RMS for an SA-15 is way too low these things will take 800 daily. I'd get an AP1000.1D and a good 15" like SA15 or DC Level 3 and make a box and call it a day. I'd also do a big III just to help with light dimming etc.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

A lot of opinions and a ton of help..that is what you will get here. It comes down to personal preference and what you feel at the time but for myself I am looking to purchase an amp that has plenty of power at 4ohms (600-1000) but has the potential to go as low as 1 ohm and throw some serious 2000+ power when i want to update my sub(s) batts/alt setups.

A lot of the answers so far are great and i def. agree with a DC audio sub or SA. but again..its what u like and are into.

Good luck.

Get the new AQ sub. I think its like street duty one or something like that? For a 12 its 100$ and get a prime-500 which is only 2ohm stable so buy the sub in a dual 4. (if its a dual cant remember) then build you a nice box useing a areo port which are 10bucks. 3/4 mdf is 30 for 8x8 and some 4gauge wire. All thats around 300$-325$ and just leve it bare with some varnish on it.

Get the new AQ sub. I think its like street duty one or something like that? For a 12 its 100$ and get a prime-500 which is only 2ohm stable so buy the sub in a dual 4. (if its a dual cant remember) then build you a nice box useing a areo port which are 10bucks. 3/4 mdf is 30 for 8x8 and some 4gauge wire. All thats around 300$-325$ and just leve it bare with some varnish on it.

There are two street duty lines. The 2.0 and the 2.5. Either one would suit the OP's purposes, but /personally/, I'd get the 2.5 just because it looks a bit more B.A. The Prime 500-1 would still be a fairly good fit.

My suggestion to the OP, don't cheap out on the amplifier. That piece of equipment, if taken even remotely good care of, can last you many, many years and through several installs. You pay for quality now, but you don't have to keep buying garbage in the future. That's not to say you have to buy a $500 amplifier, but avoid things like Pyle, and other low-rent brands.

I'm thinking there isn't a minimum post count for the For Sale forum (IIRC, it only matters if you're selling, not buying) so you may want to hang out over there to see if you run across a good deal on equipment.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Nice tip. Might head over there and see what I can do.

Guys, I do want to say that I'm not very informed on ohms and all of the specs of amps. I'm pretty sharp and I do have some technology knowledge, but this aspect I'm a bit in the dark about.

What are the benefits/pro's-con's about certain ohms and higher ampage? I do know bigger/better subs require higher powered amps, but I'm not too sure about all of the little details.

Also: If I were to go look for amps right now I'd look into Rockford Fosgate amps. I've heard a lot of good things about the brand and their quality.

So much to learn...

Ohms are a measure of resistance. If you look at specs on an amp it will say for example:

500 at 4 ohms

750 watts at 2 ohms

1000 watts at 1 ohm

which means if you get a sub and run it at 4 ohms your only getting half the power which would be 500 watts. If you were to get a sub and wire it at 1 ohm you would be getting 1000 watts.

Depending on if you get a single voice coil or dual voice coil sub determines how you can wire it. Subs also come in ohms too, most are either 2 or 4 ohm. Go check out the 12volt site and do a little reading here and there and you should be able to pick it up. Theres definitely more to it that im sure someone who knows a lot more then me will chime in.