Sonic Electronix

for the Alpine 9880-R sub level should be at +7/+15 all the time to get 2v out of your headunit...(most alpines its +15 but i think that one goes to +7, not sure you would have to fill me in on that number) this means your gain on your amp will be past 12oclock... usually closer to 2oclock depending on if you are turning your headunit up enough

bass level should be at 0 (its centered at 100hz so it will boost your mids, not something u want to do especially that low)

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I'm confused. You say bass boost but mention the bass knob. They are different. Try setting your gains with the knob all the way up and then retune. OR, remove the bass knob and see if your bass hits. As for bass boost on the amp, I don't mess with it.

Yes the Bassboost knob on my mono, I have it turned half way up, 12 o clock.

The gain knob is set up properly, the mono is not clipping, nor the sub. My HU out is 2v.

What I mean is, even with the Gain knob set up properly on the monoblock with flat EQ on the HU, the sub is not hitting like it should. But as fast I boost the "sub level" on my HU, the sub starts hitting more, and when I turn up the Bassboost knob on my mono, the sub is hitting like it's supposed to do. I can't hear with my ears any distortion coming out of it, at loud volyme.

Wouldn't it be better to set the gains with bassboost turned up where you "need" it to be? I'm sure it's not the proper way but if you need to use bassboost then why shouldn't it work? Please correct me if im wrong 8)

Check out my build log!

I'm confused. You say bass boost but mention the bass knob. They are different. Try setting your gains with the knob all the way up and then retune. OR, remove the bass knob and see if your bass hits. As for bass boost on the amp, I don't mess with it.

The gain knob is set up properly, the mono is not clipping, nor the sub. My HU out is 2v.

What I mean is, even with the Gain knob set up properly on the monoblock with flat EQ on the HU, the sub is not hitting like it should. But as fast I boost the "sub level" on my HU, the sub starts hitting more, and when I turn up the Bassboost knob on my mono, the sub is hitting like it's supposed to do. I can't hear with my ears any distortion coming out of it, at loud volyme.

Wouldn't it be better to set the gains with bassboost turned up where you "need" it to be? I'm sure it's not the proper way but if you need to use bassboost then why shouldn't it work? Please correct me if im wrong 8)

i already explained this... sub level sounds like it was never turned all the way up like it should be to get full voltage... so OP was compensating for the weak signal by using bass boost. bass boost is centered at 45hz and doesnt affect all frequencies evenly and you can unknowingly clip the signal if u play songs around the boost frequency. since most kick drums in rock are 40-50hz u can see why it will "make it louder" but thats not the way to do it

people need not be afraid of using their gain properly, people should be more afraid of the bass boost features

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

If you intend to use your bass boost then yes, you would want to turn the gain down to compensate for the bass boost being turned up.

I love running a little bit of boost at 45 hertz and I have never damaged anything because of it. At the end of the day it is just an EQ setting.

I said previously that about 6 DB of boost at 45 hertz seems to be a safe goal to shoot for if you feel the need to run a bass boost. Just becareful with the volume knob when you go from rock to rap.

I learned some 12 years ago that just a bit of boost was quite satisfying to me all across the board and again I have never ruined a sub because of it.

EDIT it really helps bring out a nice rumble in the bass that I like that I can only get if I tune a ported box just rite for but for me that means I have to tune my box too high to make me happy across the board.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Very much Thanks to you guys!

After reading your posts about the gain knob, I fully think that I've been to carefull with it.

I'll now set everything at stock and redone the gain knob etc, and leave the bassboost knob at 0.

Will reply later of how it went.

What kind of amp are you using on your subs?

What brand?

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Very much Thanks to you guys!

After reading your posts about the gain knob, I fully think that I've been to carefull with it.

I'll now set everything at stock and redone the gain knob etc, and leave the bassboost knob at 0.

Will reply later of how it went.

and turn sub level all the way up... i bet you really wont want/need any bass boost at all once gains/settings are properly set

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I think I just found sensai's fail thread of the day.

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

I think I just found sensai's fail thread of the day.

nah, it's "successful thread of the day"

the way i did it before, i turned bass knob all the way up and then set the amp up. So when i wanted to play at it "safe" maximum, i would turn the bass knob up, other wise, i kept it in the middle.

Archived