shadstrong Posted July 4, 2011 Author Report Posted July 4, 2011 Got started on the enclosure today. Didn't get much done, spent most of the day changing everything. I had to scale it down to 20 cubes due to not enough room for the needed port area. I'm still just a little shy of what Fi recommends. I ended up with 11.94 square inches per cube @ 32 hz or have the option to pull the port and have 13.35 square inches per cube @ 47.5 hz.
Supercharged DCs Posted July 4, 2011 Report Posted July 4, 2011 You need more port area mate... I don't see you getting good results with less than 12in per cube. Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.
sayhuh? Posted July 4, 2011 Report Posted July 4, 2011 Damn, .5 ohm. That is a lot of strain on any electrical system with that much power. Not get to work! Blown
shadstrong Posted July 4, 2011 Author Report Posted July 4, 2011 You need more port area mate... I don't see you getting good results with less than 12in per cube. I don't have the room. The front of the enclosure is 47.25" wide X 41.25" high with 1.5" walls and 4 18.5" subs. I've done the math all day. See what you can come up with, maybe I'm missing something.
Louisiana Bass Posted July 4, 2011 Report Posted July 4, 2011 Could you possibly do aeroports? N8. No homo...unless you want there to be.
01 S-10 Posted July 4, 2011 Report Posted July 4, 2011 Should have done 15's instead. Didn't you take measurements first before you bought the subs so you would know what fit? 4 15's in a proper enclosure will get a lot louder than 4 18's in one that's too small TDH FTW !!!
shadstrong Posted July 4, 2011 Author Report Posted July 4, 2011 Could you possibly do aeroports? I don't know why I couldn't. I've looked at them online but I'm not familiar with them. How do calculate port area on a 6"? I was taking diameter x pie and coming up I need 13, so I don't think I calculated right.
Supercharged DCs Posted July 4, 2011 Report Posted July 4, 2011 Area of circle is pi times radius squared I believe. Soo 3.14x(3x3)= 3.14x9=28 and some change of port area. Aeroports are more efficient and use up less space than slot ports, but they are more costly. I'm using 4 6" aeros in my wall with 2 18s in 11cubes, and that ran me $133 as opposed to making a slot port with MDF you'd already have lieing around. Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.
shadstrong Posted July 4, 2011 Author Report Posted July 4, 2011 Should have done 15's instead. Didn't you take measurements first before you bought the subs so you would know what fit? 4 15's in a proper enclosure will get a lot louder than 4 18's in one that's too small To start I was going to run two 18's. I took measurement figuring on 3/4" walls and decided to order two more 18's. After I ordered them I thought I should double the wall thickness and go 1 1/2". With the 3/4" walls I would have 15.30" square inches per cube. Which would be the lesser of 2 evils, 3/4" walls or 11.94" square inch per cube of port area?
Supercharged DCs Posted July 4, 2011 Report Posted July 4, 2011 No point in having a larger port if the box is going to blow apart. I would never consider using on 3/4" MDF for 4 18s on 12kw... I still say look into aeroporting, you may be able to figure something out that works for you. Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.