Sundown Audio

-=Measuring Amplifier Output=-

87HondaAccord

I am trying to measure the output of my amps and and getting very very low watts output. I read the way to do it was to meter the speaker outputs to get your volts AC and multiplay that by 10 then divide by your impedance. So... I get a maximum of 8 volts AC from the leads x 10 = 80volts / 4ohms = 20watts and that's divided by 2 i take it since it's going to left and right speakers. Shouldn't I be getting a considerable amount more (at 14.4dc volts since the car is running during tests) considering I am using an alpine 4 chan amp when bridged should do 100rms per channel? am I doing something wrong here?

do you have a clamp meter? If not you arent going to get an accurate total.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I am trying to measure the output of my amps and and getting very very low watts output. I read the way to do it was to meter the speaker outputs to get your volts AC and multiplay that by 10 then divide by your impedance. So... I get a maximum of 8 volts AC from the leads x 10 = 80volts / 4ohms = 20watts and that's divided by 2 i take it since it's going to left and right speakers. Shouldn't I be getting a considerable amount more (at 14.4dc volts since the car is running during tests) considering I am using an alpine 4 chan amp when bridged should do 100rms per channel? am I doing something wrong here?

first off, you were told wrong. multiplying but 10 is not a step.

second, impedance is not DC resistance. ie. a 4ohm speaker. impedance is AC resistance and its constantly changing.

as nate said, you need a DMM and an AC clamp meter so you can find voltage and amperage, at the same time. multiply the two together and that gives wattage.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Well I have an HP agilent multimeter that has a seperate fused input to calculate amperage. Would that be good enough?

If so; then I get my ac volts and which I already metered as 8 ? and multiply it by my amps to get my Wrms?

first off, you were told wrong. multiplying but 10 is not a step.

second, impedance is not DC resistance. ie. a 4ohm speaker. impedance is AC resistance and its constantly changing.

as nate said, you need a DMM and an AC clamp meter so you can find voltage and amperage, at the same time. multiply the two together and that gives wattage.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

LOL. Can't really get much more clearer than that.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived