Mechman dual alt adjustable volt harness caught fire.

SO this afternoon I switched out my dead stock and my Ohio Gen alts for a pair of 300a alts. Got everything installed and hooked my Mechman VBCM back up. When I started the truck I noticed some smoke under the hood and by the time I shut the truck off the wiring had caught fire. I quickly removed the Mechman harness. I gave it a quick little inspection and found that only the white wire had any damage.

Truck is a 01 suburban 5.3l engine. Dual alt setup up. Mechman harness has 4 wires going to each alternator, yellow, green, white and blue. The wite wire is the one that caught fire. Fucking Mechman is closed all weekend so I am stuck with no support, anybody here have an idea?

All I did was swap out alternators. Does anyone know what the white wire is for? Also if its a "bad" alternator...what exactly would be wrong with it?

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Any input here? I am scared to fix the harness and pulg it back up as I dont want another fire. I do have a dual alt MLA but again I am afraid to hook it up. If its a problem with the alternator how can I test this?

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

I gathered up enough courage to hook up my MLA to both alts....works fine.

So I am to assume the Mechman harness has a problem. Even tho I had dual alts on my truck one of them has been dead and unhooked since xmas...I wonder what Mechman is gonna say. I never had the mechman harness connected to two alts before, I always just used the main plug and had the other plug tied up.

d(-__-)b

only reason i've ever had a wiring issue like that was because the gauge of wire was too small and too long for what i was using it for, even tho it was a test wire. when i did the final wiring, i increased the gauge and it worked just fine. just too much current for the small wiring i was using. i forget what mine was for now tho

White is either ignition or lamp I have to look at my truck and I can confirm which it is, I know the blue is voltage sense that is the wire that actually regulates the voltage up and down on the voltage regulator.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

• 3 months later...

So i am still having this issue...Mechman sent me another harness a while back but again as soon as I went to hook up the second alt...the same wire got so hot I could not touch it. I have only been running a single alt off it since pretty much the last time i posted about it. The harness works perfect but I cant hook my other alt up.

I sent Mechman two alts that are identical to the ones on my truck (I had 4 total). I did this so they could make sure its not an issue with the alts. Mechman said they tested both alts and they are fine, they also said they tested there harness and its fine. They suggested that the output stud on my alt might be getting so hot and transferring the heat to the wire..but I dont think this is the case at all. They also suggested that I run a ground wire form my front batt directly to the alts and do only one run of 1/0 from each alt to the front battery and then do my runs to the back from the battery. I did that and nothing has changed.

On the topic of them saying its the output stud being so hot. After I switched the way my alts and batteries were wired like Mechman suggested...my engine was very cool, the temp gauge was all the way down. I hooked up both alts and started the truck...instantly my voltage spiked to god knows what, it was enough to shut my dash cluster down and turn off all the lights in my truck. I shut the truck off and went to check the harness and sure enough the plug for the second alt began to melt just like the first harness i had. So I know it has nothing to do with the temperature of the output stud.

I am at a total loss. Mechman said that if after I change the way my wiring was for my alts and batts then they have no other suggestions. Again I took my MLA and hooked it up to both alts and its charging my truck just fine..only problem is MLA only charges me at like 15.4 and I need 16.5-16.8v....does anyone have any suggestions? I am at a total loss here.

I have like a 20min long video of when i first hooked up the second harness that they sent me...i will upload that now but its gonna take a while since its in 1080, I will post it when its done.

d(-__-)b

mine did the same thing. I have to send it back.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I have gotten nowhere with them so far. I mean they are trying to help me but they guy I spoke with, Matt, said that after I switch my wiring around like he suggested that they have no Idea what the problem is. But I have gotten no answer yet. I was also told that out of the hundreds of GM harness they have sold that I am the only one to have this problem.... <_<

My video will be uploaded....in 608mins!!!!!! lol

d(-__-)b

See if you can modify it to larger gauge wire or find out how much current its pulling

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

Archived