Sonic Electronix

Using PSU's to power an amp in my house?

Is this a safe thing to do?.. I just saw a tutorial on Youtube

about how it's done.. and I have about 10 power supplies from random computers..

Is this a good way to do it? Is there a cheaper way? Will this cause damage to the amp?

Heya!

Wouldnt say that is the best tutorial in how to do it, but briding PSU's where u basically treat every PSU's set of +12V rail as a standard car battery. The challenge is to find the two wires from the large ATX cable that needs to be shortened (through his switch...) in order to boot the ATX Psu. Goo 1161a.gif

What is to note though, is that these regular and/or cheap PSU's are deliverying quite alot of amperage, but doesnt have the capacitors to unload as powerfully and quickly as batteries. Pulling heavy bass will mean a huge load off the PSU's (that we know..) that might break them if being too extreme (again, watch for Voltage drop!).

So, the recommendation is to use a Capacitor after the PSU's, before the amps. That will clean alot out.

I've run setups like this one before with no problem.¨

Don't like sharing your knowledge?

Welll.. Don't come here and grab others then! - GTFO.

This has been in my favorites for god I wanna say a year and a half...never got around to it.

But I would say it works...See a lot of people on youtube doing it...

I just would run quality amps...and dont be bumpin it unattended for hours...could get hot and spark ( not sure how clean the power of PSU's are )

But as for the green wires hell i would just use the switches on the damn PSU...much easier IMO

3d7304fe.jpg

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800

(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200

XS D6500 $245.65

PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430

Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60

Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85

A Bangin system! = PRICELESS!

i use a power supply on my home setup. its not made for a computer but its the same idea.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived