Distributor block question

I hope to have a 1500 Watt amp with 4 gauge power/ground on two 750 Watt subs and I was just curious about distribution blocks.

Would it be worthwhile to run 1/0 gauge from the battery back to a distributor block that will split it down to two 4 gauge output connections then hook one of the 4 gauge outputs up to the amp for power and just leave the other?

Would it also be worth it to run the 4 gauge ground to a similar distributor block, 1/0 to two 4 gauge, then have the 1/0 wire grounded into the rear of the vehicle?

I figured the power would work OK, but wasn't sure about the ground since it's going from a small gauge to a much larger gauge. Didn't really see it grounding any better since the 4 gauge can't give enough to the 1/0 gauge wire so I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

Thanks

It would be much better to have an extra battery in back to distribute from than a distribution block as it will create more resistance due to cuts in the line with terminals attached. Even if it is a small battery it will be a much better option than the distribution block would be and would allow many more wiring configurations with a battery.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Say I didn't have access to another battery, would I just be better off running 4 gauge both ways? I've just read it's best to run a bigger wire from battery to amps, but the biggest gauge my amp accepts is 4 so I was mainly just looking for a way to "shrink" the 1/0 down to 4 so it would fit into the amp.

Thanks, nismo. Would it be worth it to use one on the ground coming form the amp then going to a good ground? Like I said in the first post could a 4 to 1/0 reducer help anything since the 4 wouldn't produce enough for the 1/0, or at least I assume that's how it would be.

• 1 month later...

With the gauge reducer, there is usually a set screw. That set screw would make contact to a lot of the little strands in the 1/0 so you would still have the same output of 1/0 it would just be able to fit into a 4 gauge hole.

"If you're new. Stay away from 4000 watts please." C-Fizzy

Archived