Sundown Audio

AMP Recommendation for my Kicker 12" L7

FrikitonXplosion

The kicker l7 which is a square sub is dual coils. You do have the square L7 12" correct? The options are if you got the dual 2 that means there's two coils and each coil is two ohms. It can be wired in parallel for a 1ohm load at the amp. Or series for a 4ohm load at the amp. Dual coils in an easy way to put it is like two subs in one.

WRONG. it has 2 coils in one. thats why its called a DUAL COIL, not 2 subs.

NO I know what I'm talking about. I was putting it in a different term to help him understand

obviously not.

Unnecissary.

While graham should have been a little clearer with how he made that statement, his general idea is correct.

When wiring a DVC subwoofer, you can think of it as if you're wiring two SVC subwoofers. It obviously isn't two subwoofers. But the same way you would wire (2) 2 ohm SVC subs to either 1 ohm or 4 ohm, you wire (1) D2 woofer to 1 ohm or 4 ohm.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

The kicker l7 which is a square sub is dual coils. You do have the square L7 12" correct? The options are if you got the dual 2 that means there's two coils and each coil is two ohms. It can be wired in parallel for a 1ohm load at the amp. Or series for a 4ohm load at the amp. Dual coils in an easy way to put it is like two subs in one.

WRONG. it has 2 coils in one. thats why its called a DUAL COIL, not 2 subs.

NO I know what I'm talking about. I was putting it in a different term to help him understand

obviously not.

Unnecissary.

While graham should have been a little clearer with how he made that statement, his general idea is correct.

When wiring a DVC subwoofer, you can think of it as if you're wiring two SVC subwoofers. It obviously isn't two subwoofers. But the same way you would wire (2) 2 ohm SVC subs to either 1 ohm or 4 ohm, you wire (1) D2 woofer to 1 ohm or 4 ohm.

Thank you for stating that better. My bad. I knew what i was trying to say but it didn't come out right lol

Hey folks, I chatted with someone from HalfPriceCarAudio website where this sub was purchased at.

They said this sub is a dual 4 ohm wired = final 2 ohm

"that box has a dual 4 woofer wired down to a 2 ohm load. So you want an amp that is 2 Ohm stable"

Cadillac STS 2006

Premium Factory Stereo

Bose 15 speakers 300watts

Factory Navigation

1) Kicker 11VS12L72 (Dual 4ohm wired = final 2 ohm)

1) AMP: Pending

Hey folks, I chatted with someone from HalfPriceCarAudio website where this sub was purchased at.

"that box has a dual 4 woofer wired down to a 2 ohm load. So you want an amp that is 2 Ohm stable"

I,d still get a 1 ohm stable amp so later down the road if you add another they can be wired together to 1 ohm. But now you are gonna get an am that does 1100rms at 2 ohm. It wont hurt the sub plus the amp unless its a high dollar like kicker, the amp wont really push that much. I have two 15" l7 which rms 1000 and im giving them over 1500 a piece and they are perfectly fine. L7's are great to overpower some just as long as they're in a good box and you're giving them good power. Plus if you over power, that'll give you some wiggle room for tuning and so you aren't clipping.

alpine mrp m1000

puts 600Wrms at 4 ohms and 1000wrms at 2 ohms...

i love mine

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

Im not a huge fanof these but they seem to work well for how cheap they are. Just dont push it super hard constantly.

http://www.amazon.com/EV2500M-EVOLUTION-Monoblock-Amplifier-Subwoofer/dp/tech-data/B003BW79DA

I,d still get a 1 ohm stable amp so later down the road if you add another they can be wired together to 1 ohm. But now you are gonna get an am that does 1100rms at 2 ohm. It wont hurt the sub plus the amp unless its a high dollar like kicker, the amp wont really push that much. I have two 15" l7 which rms 1000 and im giving them over 1500 a piece and they are perfectly fine. L7's are great to overpower some just as long as they're in a good box and you're giving them good power. Plus if you over power, that'll give you some wiggle room for tuning and so you aren't clipping.

Thanks, I am waiting on my friend that works at bestbuy to see if he can get me the kicker amp (1000W RMS @ 2ohm) with his discount.

Unfortunately it looks bestbuy doesn't have anything over 1000W RMS for amps so my luck is out there if he can't get me his discount.

But other than that this SoundStream DTR1.1700D runs at 1 & 2ohm from the specs. And the price is perfect I would be able to get it right now.

Before I got this Kicker L7 12" I was going to buy a Quantum Audio SPL 12" sub with the Quantum Audio amp. i've read here in an old thread about how good they are and cheap price.

So I was thinking maybe Quantum Audio amp ? but the soundstream is really catchy (its vertical) 2 yrs warranty and has remote gain control.

Cadillac STS 2006

Premium Factory Stereo

Factory Navigation

I had the DS12L7 witch is like yours but with two L7s. Sorry I didn't comment on this earlier.. The sub comes with the factory kicker box correct? The box comes wired internally to 2ohm.. so the sub you have yourself is the 4ohm sub.. As far as I know you can't wire it to 1 ohm.. lol So don't buy a 1 ohm amp. If you want you can get the Kicker Zx750.1 amp.. Witch is what kicker recommends.. (imagine that? lol) This info may have been posted already. Sorry if so. lol

-Ross

Project Layla

Truck: 99' F-150

Gathering things for my next build.

SoloX18 build:

http://www.stevemead..._1#entry1576460

RE T-line build:

http://www.stevemead...-between-build/

I had the DS12L7 witch is like yours but with two L7s. Sorry I didn't comment on this earlier.. The sub comes with the factory kicker box correct? The box comes wired internally to 2ohm.. so the sub you have yourself is the 4ohm sub.. As far as I know you can't wire it to 1 ohm.. lol So don't buy a 1 ohm amp. If you want you can get the Kicker Zx750.1 amp.. Witch is what kicker recommends.. (imagine that? lol) This info may have been posted already. Sorry if so. lol

Yes this one comes with factory kicker box. They have the 11VS12L72 which is mine and the 11VSL74

The Manufacturer told me "that box has a dual 4 woofer wired down to a 2 ohm load. So you want an amp that is 2 Ohm stable"

Cadillac STS 2006

Premium Factory Stereo

Factory Navigation

Im not a huge fanof these but they seem to work well for how cheap they are. Just dont push it super hard constantly.

http://www.amazon.com/EV2500M-EVOLUTION-Monoblock-Amplifier-Subwoofer/dp/tech-data/B003BW79DA

I was just about to ask about those SSL amp I just saw on amazon as well, I got confused this is SoundStorm lol then there's SoundStream.

I think I'll choose the SoundStream over this one?

Cadillac STS 2006

Premium Factory Stereo

Factory Navigation

Archived