Sonic Electronix

This is why you SHOULD use peel n seal for sound deadner...

i use this stuff in my truck and it works great http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=565&idx=4&tid=2&info=aluminum+foil&setscreen=1&width=1440&height=785

i think its closer to second skin than peal n seal due to peal n seal being a tar based product to work on roofs makeing it more for hot climates

as what i use is for hvac installations and cannot have any smells or what knot, has worked fine for my doors, i dont have enough bass in my truck atm to need it for the roof, but i can tell a difference with midbass and what knot with this stuff

i got another roll i might try on something else

im not so much anti peal n seal but i know peal n seal is not this kind of stuff due to price difference, this stuff aint cheap, and works good for what it is

but i know now my doors dont rattle anymore ecept for door panels, i might try it on them also

steve put something under the hood of his hoe in that one video, does second skin still make that thermal stuff, ied like to try some if it aint to expensive

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

Nashua's FoilMastic is closer to being a sound deadening product compared to P&S, but it still falls into the category of a sealant tape/membrane.

It's butyl formulation was designed for adhesion, not as a damping layer.

The biggest issue is the thin 2mil dead-soft aluminum. This makes for easier installation (especially on HVAC systems), but as a constraint layer for sound deadening its not doing a heck of a lot.

I'll see if I can't find some around here and test it, see where it stands with all of these products.

Oh and yes Second SKin still makes a hood liner. It's called Thermal Block. We use to have a product called Motor Mat, but this replaces that. Thinner, lighter, more effective.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Since everyone likes to use it for it's NON intended purpose, I'm thinking of other ways it could be used around the house. I mean I know it's not SUPPOSED to be used as interior wallpaper for my house, I'm thinking it'll look super nice. Maybe I can make dinner plates as well from it. Fashion some drinking glasses and I'll have a matched set. What other uses might I think of....the options are endless.

i was thinkin about other things that can be used outside their use. dude fuck 14 dollar box of condoms, just glad wrap it. it may not be as good as a condom but why not use it as one

Pfft fuck Trojan. I use Hefty. WIMPY WIMPY WIMPY.... HEFTY! HEFTY! HEFTY! :drinks:

Either way, I've done some thinking about how Peel and Seal works and here's the fruit of my limited research.) The object of sound deadeners is not to necessarily "add mass", but to absorb vibrations and acoustic frequencies, converting them into another form of energy (low level heat) to reduce excessive reverberation and vibration. Peel and Seal doesn't have the engineering behind it despite it's close design to most deadeners, but the sad fact is that it doesn't work as efficiently at vibro-acoustic absorption as a dedicated sound deadener would. Now I know you guys wanna argue about it working, but the only reason why it works, is that you're essentially taking butyl rubber and coating panels with it. EPDM resists vibration but isn't efficient at acoustic management due to its primary design to waterproof. As a result it's just like touching a washing machine that's noisy. You put your hand on one of the metal panels, it quiets down, but it's still vibrating. If you put a deadener on it, the sound (in addition to the vibration) would actually be minimized.

I know the majority of this info is correct because I did the research, but I put 2+2 together for some of it... 2+2=4 and can =5 too.

If EPDM works for you, good. But if you really want to have the best sounding audio and quietest running vehicle...(not everyone cares about Sound Quality...) I'd suggest you look elsewhere than the roofing section at your local Lowes.

2007 Mazda 3s Sport- Custom Short Ram, Vibrant 4-2-1 Header, Trubendz Exhaust, Magnaflow Resonator and XL Muffler, Mazdaspeed Springs, 18" Baccarats with Tigerpaw GTZ 225/40R 18's

Awards:

MECA Phat Car 1st Place

MECA Show n' Tell : 112.5db's on whatever was in my CD changer

MECA SQL Stock 1st Place

MECA Import Mild 2nd Place

Since everyone likes to use it for it's NON intended purpose, I'm thinking of other ways it could be used around the house. I mean I know it's not SUPPOSED to be used as interior wallpaper for my house, I'm thinking it'll look super nice. Maybe I can make dinner plates as well from it. Fashion some drinking glasses and I'll have a matched set. What other uses might I think of....the options are endless.

i was thinkin about other things that can be used outside their use. dude fuck 14 dollar box of condoms, just glad wrap it. it may not be as good as a condom but why not use it as one

Pfft fuck Trojan. I use Hefty. WIMPY WIMPY WIMPY.... HEFTY! HEFTY! HEFTY! :drinks:

if you need a body bag to do a chick you need to stop doin her. js rofl.gif

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

if you need a body bag to do a chick you need to stop doin her. js rofl.gif

:lol:

2007 Mazda 3s Sport- Custom Short Ram, Vibrant 4-2-1 Header, Trubendz Exhaust, Magnaflow Resonator and XL Muffler, Mazdaspeed Springs, 18" Baccarats with Tigerpaw GTZ 225/40R 18's

Awards:

MECA Phat Car 1st Place

MECA Show n' Tell : 112.5db's on whatever was in my CD changer

MECA SQL Stock 1st Place

MECA Import Mild 2nd Place

Heh. Heh. Yeah, P&S may stop rattles, but two layers of duct tape could do just the same. (No shit. Duct taped my buddy's license plate. Works great. lmfao). Tried P&S once... Added .6db when added two layers to buddy's whole trunk. I lined parts of my trunk with 1 layer of SS and it added .9db... With only about 1/2 the trunk done. Using P&S for it's unintended purpose would be like using a balloon for it's unintended purpose (If you know what I mean). Just because it works for you doesn't make it socially and mechanically acceptable.

Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893

real men dont use fuses :D

Neither do morons
Says the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.

Jeremy has a vid from Frost Off last year when I did a 59.5 against Chili's old van. It's on his youtube page.

Gotta go enjoy that "stripper" wife of mine since she's dressed to kill tonight cuz the boys are gone :girl_devil:

EDIT: My bad missed the Frost Off vid you posted, "stripper wife" was distracting me :woot:

No matter what people post there will always be skepticism.

BTW I used Peel and Seal in my first SPL vehicle and it's still in there and works fine after 7 years with no odors.....ever.

To me it's all the same with aluminum foil and sticky crap; you just have to find the one that works for you and your budget. I personally don't like real thick foil on my deadener for the simple fact I like it to stretch a little bit and contour around stuff better. There are pros and cons to everything. Stop giving it fancy names when it does the same thing!

I also like the fact how people say that so-and-so is the best deadener ever when they have never tried any of the other deadeners you can get from other sources.

Cactus Sounds USA Team Captain

Multiple World Record Holders

The P&S debate will always rage on, no doubt about that. To most people it looks the same, feels the same, and applies the same, therefor they come to the conclusion that it is the same, just rebadged and sold at a higher price as "automotive sound deadening". Unfortunately this is true for a few products, which gives the entire automotive sound deadening industry a black eye. People don't know who or what products to trust. So you have a few individuals like myself that spend most of their days going around to forums trying to clear up the misinformation that a few of these companies are spreading.

Having a thin foil (or a foil like layer made of plastic and aluminum) does allow for easier installation and better contouring and a lot of companies tout this as a selling point. However there really isn't a need for a product that conforms easily to curved surfaces. Why? These contoured surfaces have a much lower occurrence of audible resonance (something upwards to 75%-90%) compared to the flat surfaces. So in reality the flat areas are the only places that need treated with a vibration controlling mat.

I've said this once, and I'll say it again, I have used and tested literally every major brand of sound deadening out there. Tar, bitumen, asphalt, rubber, foam, and a combination of any or all of those and there are HUGE performance differences between them. Products ranging from 30-40 mils, all the way up to a little more than a quarter of an inch. Some with thick ass foils, some with plastic or mylar.

The point that I want to get across is there is no reason to use a P&S product as sound deadening. There are well priced, well designed vibration mats out there specifically designed for automotive use that will perform far better.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Archived