Second Skin Audio

Help with slot port/torres

I just used torres calculator to make a box for 2 15" type-r's My dimensions are H=17 W=37 and L=22 It is telling me that my port which is 3" in diameter and 15.5" tall (center port) should be 11.7 inches long to get 34.07 HZ tuning. Does this sound right? if so I shouldn't need L ports right? Also I have it set to 2 common port walls. With a net volume of 5.73 sq feet. Any help would be great :)

mybox.jpg

Edited by Amart88

is your port a middle port? if so thats two port walls

Also just an fyi.most people are going to use torres calculator to get the same tihng you did to check it. trust the calculator many a box has been designed with that sucker.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Im showing for a single port, 15.5 high 5 wide and 20.5 deep, tuned to 35.

My plots are peaking huge, DB/HZ @ 1m peek is 44hz @ 121.6 db - 35hz @ 117.2

TermPak is pretty good at predicting but like always it will change as the postion in your car changes.

-Angel

Are you using the same external dimensions that he provided? If you're using a bigger port than he is, then you're ending up with even less chamber volume after displacements, which is why that 35hz tuning is peaking higher than it should.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Are you using the same external dimensions that he provided? If you're using a bigger port than he is, then you're ending up with even less chamber volume after displacements, which is why that 35hz tuning is peaking higher than it should.

Internal port, Same box diams, The progam wanted to tune them to 24hz, and with that in mind has a very flat responce curve, but in the real world who the hell does that :) One sub in that box works with the port that his program came up with. Since these subs require a huge box, why not iso them? (I hate iso's but it works when needed to)

-Angel

-Angel

Your box volume and port area is on the low side. Are you able to go any larger with the overall box size?

Yes but these subs perform best with 2.9 cubes each. Now my box is 6.11 cubes net. and the port depth is just over 10 inches. Seems shallow but its what it says. My final dimesnsions are W-38" H-17" Depth-22.5 . Port diameter 3" Height 15.5" and depth 10.05" at around 33.80ishHZ. Does that sound ok? I already started work on the box but broke my drill bit. Therefore i still didnt get to the port yet so that can always be changed. anymore input is great :)

TermPak is pretty good at predicting but like always it will change as the postion in your car changes.

My last post before this one has the tweaked Final dimensions. 38 wide 22.5 deep and 17 tall. 3" diameter port that's 10.05 inch deep. so by what your saying, my port is wrong? if so what should it be now with the dimensions i just gave you and tuned to 33-34 HZ Thanks. PS its a single middle port. one port for 2 subs.

My last post before this one has the tweaked Final dimensions. 38 wide 22.5 deep and 17 tall. 3" diameter port that's 10.05 inch deep. so by what your saying, my port is wrong? if so what should it be now with the dimensions i just gave you and tuned to 33-34 HZ Thanks. PS its a single middle port. one port for 2 subs.

New box diams, were looking at 710cu inches of port, 15.5" x 3" 14.64 inches long

Plot is a lot smother peeking at 121.4 @ 41.3 hz and port velocity, looking at 18.2 m/s @ 32hz max.

Be sure to use a 45 deg. router bit on your port mouth and both sides of the port walls on the inside.

with this design you are nominal plus 5.13 db 1w per meter

-Angel

New box diams, were looking at 710cu inches of port, 15.5" x 3" 14.64 inches long

Plot is a lot smother peeking at 121.4 @ 41.3 hz and port velocity, looking at 18.2 m/s @ 32hz max.

Be sure to use a 45 deg. router bit on your port mouth and both sides of the port walls on the inside.

with this design you are nominal plus 5.13 db 1w per meter

Thank you for you help. So what I have now will work good with the 14.64 inch deep port? Will play lows and music good as a daily driver... not looking for SQ more on the loud side. Oh and the port is not an L port right? it just goes straight back?