Second Skin Audio

Does enclosure size effect subwoofer cooling

Yes box size does effect cooling. In a large box your sub will most likely be using a good amoun of it xmax. How ever in a small box, the cone of the sub will be more restricted to move and that means less air movin through through the motor

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d

But at lower volume, the sub is seeing less power, so it will not be getting as hot???

a sub cools itslf by moving period!!!! it needs to move lower... volume does give you less current draw and thd that does cause less heat but then the sub is not cooling itself by moving ether so it can get just as hot with low volumes and then again it might not get hot at all depends on the box

subs are box dependent

It is impossible to blow a sub by running it on too little power (whether it be thermally or mechanically). Period!!!!!

But at lower volume, the sub is seeing less power, so it will not be getting as hot???

a sub cools itslf by moving period!!!! it needs to move lower... volume does give you less current draw and thd that does cause less heat but then the sub is not cooling itself by moving ether so it can get just as hot with low volumes and then again it might not get hot at all depends on the box

subs are box dependent

It is impossible to blow a sub by running it on too little power (whether it be thermally or mechanically). Period!!!!!

Where did he say running it on too low of power may blow the subwoofer?

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

subs are box dependent

Thanks for your 2cents on this. If I am running 4k RMS onto a 3" coil it will fail eventually because it can only handle ~2500 RMS thermally. He stated that a sub ran on lower power can get just as hot, so...... By his logic if I am running 200 RMS onto same 3" coils they should also fail thermally, because the sub is not moving so it cannot stay cool.

he is talking about normal power and not overpowering.

Pay attention...

If your box is designed properly, and you are not overpowering your subs, your coils will never get too warm, so what would the concern be?

subs are box dependent

Thanks for your 2cents on this. If I am running 4k RMS onto a 3" coil it will fail eventually because it can only handle ~2500 RMS thermally. He stated that a sub ran on lower power can get just as hot, so...... By his logic if I am running 200 RMS onto same 3" coils they should also fail thermally, because the sub is not moving so it cannot stay cool.

i said it can get just as hot if there is nothing happing to disapate the heat never said it will fail

and if you run 200 rms cliped to a 3 " coil it will fail

the sub needs to move to cool its self so how can it stay cool not moving while genrating heat?

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

he is talking about normal power and not overpowering.

Pay attention...

If your box is designed properly, and you are not overpowering your subs, your coils will never get too warm, so what would the concern be?

did you read the first post or just trying to argue? the OP asked if box size effects cooling...

and it does

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

reason i ask is because one of my subs went down. I have not yet pulled the sub but i can hear the coils, the one sub has a coil unwound. It went down while i was sitting in a parking lot playing some tracks tuning my amp. I was watching the subs the whole time, they were not moving very much and they were not being clipped. I could not smell any coil until after it went down, the one sub sounded scratchy very fine like got worse in a couple seconds then it was done.

i dont understand why this happened, the sub is a dd 9515 kevlar cone and cap. The sub has gotten stinky in the past but i always let it cool down when it does. The sub is less than 45 days old. my box is a 6th order rear chamber per woofer is 1.75 cubic ft.

there is 2" from pole vent to the back of the enclosure.

Something is not rite here, i feel its the enclosure