Teach me about mid-range horns....

It's been a long time since I looked at them, but I was thinking they are super-loud, yet super clean at the same time.... like loud enough to actually keep up with some of the super-subwoofer systems we like. And I think they get pretty low.... close to true mid-bass...

But crappy for highs ? So one would still need like 8.... er, 80 seperate tweets to keep up with all the subs, and the horns.... Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Who can tell me more ?

Fish

PS, These probably suck... but just as an example > http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-8-OHM-600w-TITANIUM-MIDRANGE-HORN-DRIVER-NEW-2011-/200579543933

Check that sensitivity ! ....along with being able to take 300 wts RMS

Edited by Fish Chris

Horns are awesome but need equaliztion. They also have incredible sensitivity. This means they will get loud on relatively low wattage. You will need an exit horn or waveguide for most of them, and they all effect freq. response in different ways, that means research to find the right one. As fast as getting lows from them I have seen a couple get down to 500 but those were 2” horns and the lenses were gigantic and prohibitively expensive.

If you plan on using these as a wideband midrange you'll need some ribbons or planars to match the output.

Pyle makes good compression drivers but I would reccomend a selenium d220ti. They are only two dollars more.

Tell us more about your current system and future plans. Unless you really want them im sure we can help you find a two way system that can give you the output you want.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Hey Scottish, thank you for the reply.

I don't think I'm ready for horns just yet. I was really asking about them more out of curiosity... thinking out loud I guess :)

But hey now, I checked out your vids, and they are a welcome break from X# of huge subs, and a bazillion watts :) {disclaimer: Yes, I also enjoy X# of huge subs, and a bazillion watts.... but sometimes I actually like to listen to music too :))

Anyway, that looks like a really "fun" system. I love your center stage setup, as well as your 10" mid-bass drivers in the doors. I bet that sounds just about as "musical" as it could possibly get !

I'd love to hear it..... But then again, it probably make mine sound like $#!+ :) LOL

Peace,

Fish

Horns are awesome but need equaliztion. They also have incredible sensitivity. This means they will get loud on relatively low wattage. You will need an exit horn or waveguide for most of them, and they all effect freq. response in different ways, that means research to find the right one. As fast as getting lows from them I have seen a couple get down to 500 but those were 2” horns and the lenses were gigantic and prohibitively expensive.

If you plan on using these as a wideband midrange you'll need some ribbons or planars to match the output.

Pyle makes good compression drivers but I would reccomend a selenium d220ti. They are only two dollars more.

Tell us more about your current system and future plans. Unless you really want them im sure we can help you find a two way system that can give you the output you want.

[THREADJACK:]

wusssup Fish-Chris!! long time no see! :drinks:

when you coming back to Sacramento? come on by the shop some day! Things are slightly different then they were when i saw you last!

[/Threadjack]

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Thanks for the compliments bro. It's a work in progress. The center channel still needs to be shaped and fiberglassed. I may add 2 more of the 4" to strengthen the center even more. It will really start to shine once I get a 3sixty or a ms8. With that being said a wall is in the design phase for 4 18" on around 1500 watts. Thats up the road a piece though. We had a flood and it ruined alot of my stuff.

If you are in the chicago area I'd be more than happy to give you a demo.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Steve ! I was wondering when you were going to realize this was the same ol' Fish Chris posting again lately :) Well... kind of the same ol'... but kinda' not.

Remember me 2 years ago ?

10042e40.jpg

1022c130.jpg

Well, I went and got onto this health and fitness kick.... lost about 95 lbs of fat, and put on about 25 lbs of muscle (LONG ways to go) but I look and feel like a different person :)

This is me now...

1187b4e0.jpg

And trying to look buffed... Hey ! Don't laugh ! :) Just give me 3 more years.

11f936f0.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, heck yea ! I'd LOVE to come by the shop one of these days really soon ! Would love to see / hear the new Ho, and whatever else you got going on.

Take good care :)

Peace,

Fish

[THREADJACK:]

wusssup Fish-Chris!! long time no see! :drinks:

when you coming back to Sacramento? come on by the shop some day! Things are slightly different then they were when i saw you last!

[/Threadjack]

Scottish, right on. Sounds like we have pretty similar sound system tastes.... I guess they call it SQL. I wouldn't neccessarily want the loudest system on the planet..... nor the cleanest system on the planet.... but rather, somewhere in between :)

Going to go watch some more of your vids now :)

Peace,

Fish

Thanks for the compliments bro. It's a work in progress. The center channel still needs to be shaped and fiberglassed. I may add 2 more of the 4" to strengthen the center even more. It will really start to shine once I get a 3sixty or a ms8. With that being said a wall is in the design phase for 4 18" on around 1500 watts. Thats up the road a piece though. We had a flood and it ruined alot of my stuff.

If you are in the chicago area I'd be more than happy to give you a demo.