Second Skin Audio

will this be good for 1 18?

so i decided to do a box for a friend, in his charger. he has my old 18in Re HC and want me to make a box for him. i got the dimension, 15in H x 31in W x 35 in D, which calculates 7.72 before displacement, according to Torres' calculator. im planning on adding 2 6in(6in Dia x 13in L) PVC pipes as aero ports because im too lazy to do slots... after displacement, it came out 7.02 @ 33.61hz. i did a sketch up of what the box might look like....anyone thinks this is good enough for 1 18 @ approx 2k rms?

Calculator.jpg

Box1.jpg

Box2.jpg

Box3.jpg

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

7.02 with 2 6" ports x 13" long is more like 35 Hz tuning, and even higher if they are actually aeros.

Make them 16" long.

Brian

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Im learning the box building game still but i think thats a little big for a single 18. Plus how the hell are you going to get that to fit in that car?

I have a AA SMD 18" and it is in a box tuned to 30Hz and is 5.5 cubes NET, that means it does not include the displacement of the port at all. Now i have a slotted port since i thought it was a lot easier to make and my SMD gets down and beats the hell out of my truck.

Also, what kind of power are you throwing at that sub? And i would brace the box too with it being only 3/4 thick, some wooden dowels from home depot will do a good job. With your box being that thin it can cause box flex and make it sound like crap.

I would send RAM Designs a message on here and ask for his help. A good box design from him isnt much and he helped me with my box and it turned out perfect.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

The SMD runs better in a smaller box than the old RE HC.

7 ft is fine, but the SSF will be required with that much power. You may still have thermal power handling issues, but at least you can control the mechanical power handling with the SSF.

Definitely brace at least from the top to the bottom next to the driver opening.

You could make the top of the box 1.5" thick and lengthen the ports. You should still have ~6.5 cuft net volume.

Edited by bkolfo4

Current system:

Previous systems:

Im learning the box building game still but i think thats a little big for a single 18. Plus how the hell are you going to get that to fit in that car?

I have a AA SMD 18" and it is in a box tuned to 30Hz and is 5.5 cubes NET, that means it does not include the displacement of the port at all. Now i have a slotted port since i thought it was a lot easier to make and my SMD gets down and beats the hell out of my truck.

Also, what kind of power are you throwing at that sub? And i would brace the box too with it being only 3/4 thick, some wooden dowels from home depot will do a good job. With your box being that thin it can cause box flex and make it sound like crap.

I would send RAM Designs a message on here and ask for his help. A good box design from him isnt much and he helped me with my box and it turned out perfect.

ill find a way to put that box in. and 7cuft for that sub because what i hear, that sub likes big boxes. and im convincing my friend to get a crescendo bc2000, and have it wired to .5 ohm before rise. right now, i cant afford to pay for a designs, so thats why im doing this myself. i need me to get 2 SMDs 18s...want a smaller box than the one i got for my 2 Re MTs 18s. lol. right now i might consider making the pvc pipe 16 in long, just need more ppl to chime in to be confident to start the build with the right measurements.

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

The SMD runs better in a smaller box than the old RE HC.

7 ft is fine, but the SSF will be required with that much power. You may still have thermal power handling issues, but at least you can control the mechanical power handling with the SSF.

Definitely brace at least from the top to the bottom next to the driver opening.

You could make the top of the box 1.5" thick and lengthen the ports. You should still have ~6.5 cuft net volume.

what is SSF???? im still new at the box building hobby. lol...brace will also come in mind(have some left over 2x4s when i braced my box from top to bottom only for the moment)

Subsonic filter

The larger box will reduce the mechanical power handling.

Current system:

Previous systems:

6-8 cubes is normal for 18s.

from what i rear the SMD subs like smaller boxes...

this. REs like big boxes....Like my MTs(12cuft for 2 18s WwHHAAAA :trippy: :trippy: )