Sonic Electronix

Isnt the battery isolator needed so that it doesnt discharge my car battery?

also is this site any good? www.knukonceptz.com

As I said, You should not play your system with the car off. Especially with what you are planning on running for power.

Here's something to consider; if you install an isolator and bump your shit until your battery bank is stone dead and start your car back up to charge your battery bank back up, you'll shorten the life on your batteries. When you completely discharge a battery you should ALWAYS charge it back up on a trickle charger. If you charge the batteries up to fast from stone dead, like you would with your alternator, you'll slightly reduce their lifespan.

Just let the car run when you feel like bumping.

As far as KnuKonceptz; they are pretty good for RCAs and stuff, but all of their power wire is CCA not Pure OFC. CCA is Copper Coated Aluminum, OFC is Oxygen Free Copper. CCA is an aluminum core wrapped in copper and tin, and is capable of supporting roughly 250 amps per run of 1/0 AWG, where as high quality OFC is 99.999% pure copper and is capable of carrying as much as 300-320 amps per run of 1/0 AWG.

A good place to get wiring is: http://www.powerwerx.com/wire-cable/welding-cable.html Or look up coppercableman on ebay, he sels Trystar wire which is some of the best stuff you can get. And before you ask, yes you can use welding wire for car audio.

Hope that helps you.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

As I said, You should not play your system with the car off. Especially with what you are planning on running for power.

Here's something to consider; if you install an isolator and bump your shit until your battery bank is stone dead and start your car back up to charge your battery bank back up, you'll shorten the life on your batteries. When you completely discharge a battery you should ALWAYS charge it back up on a trickle charger. If you charge the batteries up to fast from stone dead, like you would with your alternator, you'll slightly reduce their lifespan.

As far as KnuKonceptz; they are pretty good for RCAs and stuff, but all of their power wire is CCA not Pure OFC. CCA is Copper Coated Aluminum, OFC is Oxygen Free Copper. CCA is an aluminum core wrapped in copper and tin, and is capable of supporting roughly 250 amps per run of 1/0 AWG, where as high quality OFC is 99.999% pure copper and is capable of carrying as much as 300-320 amps per run of 1/0 AWG.

A good place to get wiring is: http://www.powerwerx.com/wire-cable/welding-cable.html Or look up coppercableman on ebay, he sels Trystar wire which is some of the best stuff you can get. And before you ask, yes you can use welding wire for car audio.

Hope that helps you.

I don't mean to thread jack, but why do you say all of their wiring is CCA? I thought their 1/0 Kolossus Flexs was OFC, but if it's CCA I will replace my wiring with some OFC 1/0awg.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Hope that helps you.

I'm not going to have the car off while bumping hard man. thats not the idea to me. Its the fact that I am keeping my regular car battery in my ford and adding 2 batteries to the back. so far from what ive read and heard, it will discharge with the car off even if i wasnt playing music. This has happened to me before but i have no idea why you think I will be running this car while its off

I don't mean to thread jack, but why do you say all of their wiring is CCA? I thought their 1/0 Kolossus Flexs was OFC, but if it's CCA I will replace my wiring with some OFC 1/0awg.

You are right, the Kolossus Fleks is not CCA, but it is tinned. The individual strands of wire have been coated with tin in the manufacturing process. It's something that is done to help prevent corrosion, but it comes at a price. Your wire may be more safe from rotting over time, but you have to sacrifice power handling. Electricity is simply moving electrons, and electrons move more freely on the outside of the strands than on the inside, which is one reason why strand count matters. Tin is only about 15% as conductive as copper, so in essence by tinning the wire you just reduced the conductivity of the layer that the electrons flow the best on. For the price of what Knu offers for their Kolossus Fleks stuff you could get pure OFC copper welding wire and still save money.

I'm not going to have the car off while bumping hard man. thats not the idea to me. Its the fact that I am keeping my regular car battery in my ford and adding 2 batteries to the back. so far from what ive read and heard, it will discharge with the car off even if i wasnt playing music. This has happened to me before but i have no idea why you think I will be running this car while its off

The resting voltage of a typical wet cell is about 12.6 volts, and the typical AGM resting voltage is 12.8-13, so it's understandable that you'd be skeptical on that issue. There are plenty of people that are mixing and matching them and having no issues what-so-ever. In my opinion, you are better off to sell your stock battery and take that money and the money you were going to spend on that isolator and pick up a smaller version of the batteries you use in your bank then. Mixing and matching them isn't that bad.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

You are right, the Kolossus Fleks is not CCA, but it is tinned. The individual strands of wire have been coated with tin in the manufacturing process. It's something that is done to help prevent corrosion, but it comes at a price. Your wire may be more safe from rotting over time, but you have to sacrifice power handling. Electricity is simply moving electrons, and electrons move more freely on the outside of the strands than on the inside, which is one reason why strand count matters. Tin is only about 15% as conductive as copper, so in essence by tinning the wire you just reduced the conductivity of the layer that the electrons flow the best on. For the price of what Knu offers for their Kolossus Fleks stuff you could get pure OFC copper welding wire and still save money.

The resting voltage of a typical wet cell is about 12.6 volts, and the typical AGM resting voltage is 12.8-13, so it's understandable that you'd be skeptical on that issue. There are plenty of people that are mixing and matching them and having no issues what-so-ever. In my opinion, you are better off to sell your stock battery and take that money and the money you were going to spend on that isolator and pick up a smaller version of the batteries you use in your bank then. Mixing and matching them isn't that bad.

I cant seem to find a Kinetik that would actually fit in a ford Focus

I'd suggest a small 4 channel that maybe matches brand on whatever sub/mono amp you choose.

*Edit- Your shopping list has changed so much, I'm not sure if you know what you're wanting, or why you're wanting it.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived