setting hi/lo converter with dd-1?

Might want to look into the AudioControl LC-6i. I haven't personally used it, but it was suggested to me when I was considering going the integration route instead of getting a head unit.

I was just sick of ONLY being able to use music CDs so I went the HU route.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

sticky, i dont know when the 3sixty.3 is coming out, it should have been out already but it isnt. And as BJD3 suggested you can get the other cheaper alternatives to the 3sixty but since you are like halfway there for the cost, i would just wait and dump my money on the .3 or .2. You will have more control with the RF units than your mind is capable of handling, lol, and i will guarantee you better sound quality as long as you set everything up the proper way with the .2 (dont own a .3 but im sure its even better than the .2 for sq).

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Thanks BJD3 ill check that one out also but I thinK imma just get a 3sixty.

And thanks for the info kickass imma save up and see if I get a .2 and if by that time the .3 comes out then ill just get that one instead. I think it will be nice to have that.

It is really nice to have it. Either one will be perfect but the .3 is better and more advanced than the .2. The .2 still is powerful, just be sure to not fall for the 3sixty.1 trick. The .1 doesnt have shit for controls and you will get totally dooped if you buy it. Get a .2 and you will be more than happy. Did you try like i said with the DMM to see what your voltage level was on your rca wire coming off the converter tho?

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Hahaha, idk what to say. Maybe those high-low converters are shit? shrug.gif It shouldnt clip if you are just starting to take the gain and turn it up on the high-low converter. Maybe it is correct for it doing that as the high-low converter is made to take the 40+volts that comes out of your headunits speaker terminals and turn it down to a low voltage like 2-6v that rca wires can carry without any problems. Do you happen to have a Digital Multi Meter? If you do i want you to try this and report back to me with the results.

First, you need to know where your headunit clips at (you already know this) and how high you can turn the little sensitivity knobs on the high-low converter before the dd-1 shows it has clipping. Once you have both of these figured out, proceed with step 1.

1.) With your headunit at full volume before it starts to clip, play a 0db track. It doesnt matter if its the 1000Hz or 40Hz one, just play a track on the DD-1 disc that is at 0db.

2.) Take the positive (red) wire from your digital multi meter and insert it in the opening of where the rca cables inner part goes in.

3.) Take the negative (black) wire from your digital multi meter and touch it on the outer jacket of the rca connector which you can visually see when looking at the converter.

4.) Set your DMM to AC Voltage (start it at like 200v AC and then if it has a low reading, turn it down some more. Dont turn it down anymore than 10v AC on your DMM or you can burn the dmm out)

5.) Read the voltage you see on the screen of your DMM. It should be in the range of 2-6v (idk what your output is rms on those converters so i cant say what it should be other than somewhere in that range)

6.) If your voltage isnt in that range then your high-low converter is crippling your output and you should really think about a new headunit. If it is in that range then it is perfectly fine and you can then set your gains on the amps.

Let me know what your voltage is when you hook up the DMM to the high-low converter.

Tip: If you have a problem with connecting the red wire and black wire off your DMM to the output of one of the channels on the high-low converters terminal, do this. Connect a single RCA wire to the high-low converter and go in the back where your amp is. That same wire you have hooked up just simply touch the red probe (positive) of the digital multi meter on the center conductor of the RCA (the part that is inside the outer ring and sticks out the longest), then touch the black probe on the outer ring of the RCA connector (the part that holds it down when you are inserting the rca cable in fully)

I forgot to mention before that the high-low converter shouldnt really have the knobs turned up very far, they should be down pretty low since if it is up high, you are boosting the hell out of your signal and clipping it to all hell.

I almost for got to do this cause I came home and added some new ground wire on my big 3 from the alt to the batt.

But I just tried it and I think I set it to the right setting. I put the dmm on ACV and set it to 200 and I played the 40hz tone and the hi/lo converter reads .2v on the 1khz it reads 0v my dmm only has a 500 setting and a 200 setting for ACV and on the 500 setting it reads 0

It is really nice to have it. Either one will be perfect but the .3 is better and more advanced than the .2. The .2 still is powerful, just be sure to not fall for the 3sixty.1 trick. The .1 doesnt have shit for controls and you will get totally dooped if you buy it. Get a .2 and you will be more than happy. Did you try like i said with the DMM to see what your voltage level was on your rca wire coming off the converter tho?

Cool, I'll be sure not to get the .1 then.. And ya I just was posting about my voltage lol

That doesnt sound right. For both 1000Hz and 40Hz, you should have the same voltage level. And .2v is deff not what the output should be on those high-low converters i can tell you that. I would set them as good as you can without them clipping too hard and get the 3sixty as soon as you can because if you dont and you get carried away on your volume you can smoke your equipment.

If you can wait until tomorrow ill take my DMM and put it on ACV to see what it reads, my headunits voltage output before the 3sixty.2 is 2.5v rms so i will see what it comes up as on my DMM but .2 just seems wrong.

Ok I had done it wrong but I re-read your post on how to check it, so I went back and tried it again cause I had tried it at low volume wich was 18 out of 40 wich was the highest vol I was playing where i set it at yesterday. But I just did it to where my head unit clips at wich is 33 out of 40 and I got 1.0v

very good, thats a better voltage reading. Now question, did you hook the dd-1 up to the amp with the amps gain all the way down and see if it was seeing any clipping? At 1v it is low but your amps will be guaranteed to work with that and not have any clipping. See if it finds any distortion when you hook the dd-1 up to one channel of the amp and ground it to the chassis of your vehicle like we discussed in the latest post. Turn the gain up on your amp until the clip light illuminates. It should be about 40-60 volts ac from what ive seen on average with amps.

very good, thats a better voltage reading. Now question, did you hook the dd-1 up to the amp with the amps gain all the way down and see if it was seeing any clipping? At 1v it is low but your amps will be guaranteed to work with that and not have any clipping. See if it finds any distortion when you hook the dd-1 up to one channel of the amp and ground it to the chassis of your vehicle like we discussed in the latest post. Turn the gain up on your amp until the clip light illuminates. It should be about 40-60 volts ac from what ive seen on average with amps.

Yes I did, but I tried it so many different ways that I can't remember exacly what happened when I tried that one but i will try it again tomorrow and let you know what happens.