Sonic Electronix

I believe you would put in 4 for common port walls, as it would use a side, the back, the top, and the bottom walls as port walls. I'm not too sure though, as I don't use the Torres calculator myself.

4 common walls would be a box with a side missing.

Well, if your port has to bend and go along the back wall, then it would actually be using 4 common walls, but I see the Torres calculator doesn't see it like that.

:shrug:

I just use WinISD to get the port length I need and do all of the numbers myself. I find it to be less of a headache, as odd as that sounds.

Technically Torres would see it as the side BECOMING the back wall as it L's. It uses another wall of the box yes, but it's also technically just using 3 common walls as it never uses all 4 at any 1 particular time. It's like looking at the front of the box it uses 3 common walls, then if you took the side off and look at where the L starts it's still just using 3 commong walls.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

If it's shaped like a slot, it's a slot regardless of if it L's or not. Some people just call them L port boxes.

and when do people use the L in a port? to change the tuning of their box if it isn't deep enough?

On most ported boxes to get correct port length with enough port area it can require L'ing the port. Basically just adding length to get desired tuning.

ahh ok, thanks 727 and DC for the info, and if you have to add the L for extra length is it normally to tune lower or higher? or does it always depend on the type of box?

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

The longer the port, the lower the tuning, so you would use the extra length an L would provide to tune lower.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I believe you would put in 4 for common port walls, as it would use a side, the back, the top, and the bottom walls as port walls. I'm not too sure though, as I don't use the Torres calculator myself.

Incorrect. It is 3 common walls. Look at Torres post, he has examples.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

If it's shaped like a slot, it's a slot regardless of if it L's or not. Some people just call them L port boxes.

and when do people use the L in a port? to change the tuning of their box if it isn't deep enough?

On most ported boxes to get correct port length with enough port area it can require L'ing the port. Basically just adding length to get desired tuning.

ahh ok, thanks 727 and DC for the info, and if you have to add the L for extra length is it normally to tune lower or higher? or does it always depend on the type of box?

The L is used to gain extra length. Torres calc automatically calculates the bend and gives you a "physical port length" that is adjusted, accounting for the additional volume in the bend area.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |