Phoenix Gold Australia's 12x 12" Elite's 24kw - 160.2dB @ 40Hz

You're not done yet, hehehe, you have room on the bottom of the back hatch for more speakers, I'd say relocate those speakers around the amp rack to the back hatch , stacked and firing rearwards, and add more batteries, or amps to the new space around the current amps...

btw, i liked how it turned out. Also, what alternator are you using, and do you still have a/c in the car?

Bass Music Producer • Photographer • Graphic Designer

--------------

Deep Sector Boom...

You're not done yet, hehehe, you have room on the bottom of the back hatch for more speakers, I'd say relocate those speakers around the amp rack to the back hatch , stacked and firing rearwards, and add more batteries, or amps to the new space around the current amps...

btw, i liked how it turned out. Also, what alternator are you using, and do you still have a/c in the car?

HaHa!!!

Sadly there's no room on the rear hatch for more speakers, the clearance between the rear door and the amp rack is about 5mm (so we'd need some stupidly shallow mount speakers LOL)

With that said we still do have some work to do, there's some touch-ups to the top rear pods (adding some signage and lighting), we need to re-do the front doors to clean them up and change out to the new model of speakers.

... and lastly we are looking at bracing the roof and front doors a little bit more, as they both take a lot of abuse... and since we don't actually compete, it's all about keeping things from breaking at every show

As for alternators, we had a LOT of issues with this vehicle...due to the electronic power steering system in the Astra, the alternator is actually on the CANbus system, and furthermore it is actually serial # coded into the software. Mick here at work, worked with one of his friends who is a CANbus engineer and they created a small black box that tricked the system into thinking that the stock alternator was still in place. From there Mick found a stock Ford Territory alternator that is rated at 220a and has installed that into the system for now. We also have a 2nd unit waiting to go in and the brackets all done, we just need to work out the final belt and tensioner locations to get it happening.

As for the battery and alternator situation at present, we don't really have too many issues. We are running 11x SPV69's (so approx 759Ah and 8525CCA) and usually leave the vehicle idling at 800 RPM. We seem to be able to hold 13.5V as an average with the system playing in the low to mid 150's, on the BIG notes we drop down to around 12.8V. We want to add in a throttle adjustment cable (throttle is also electornic in this car) so we can bump things up to 2000RPM for big demo's

As you all know, no system is ever fully done... we always keep playing with things and trying out new ideas ;)

Cheers,

Scott

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

As mentioned at the end of our last post, no build is ever truly finished.. and with that in mind we've done a bit more tweaking to our car. The reason was that we were soooo close to 160... and the ractical side of it was that the outer skin of the roof was beginning to pull away from the inner crossmember that runs between the A-Pillars. The inner portion of this crossmember is where we attached our stripper pole bracing and it was doing an awesome job up until we installed the steel rear wall and the steel side walls. As soon as we started hitting in the high 158's and low 159's we notice that the roof was moving AGAIN!!! (and this was in cold weather here in Australia's so called winter - so we were scared what would happen as things got warmer in the spring/summer when we usually get Uber Flex)

So we thought we had nothing to lose by doing a quick 25mm MDF panel to help reinforce the outer skin, we back filled it with expanda-foam and liquid nailed and screwed it in place.

IMG_1439_zpse1f6c60e.jpg

Obviously we have a bit of tidying up to do with a few trim panels, but we did cut back the excess foam since this pic.

Well we had our first opportunity to test things out tonight at a local Test and Tune hosted by our friends at CA&E and Autobarn Dandenong, and here's the results...

IMG_1443_zpsbd5429d0.jpg

IMG_1447_zps6e0db3b4.jpg

IMG_1448_zps19f3e8f5.jpg

And here's the scores!

IMG_1449_zps18e2e225.jpg

IMG_1450_zps255bbd97.jpg

IMG_1451_zps810d6395.jpg

Needless to say we are Unbelievably Happy!!! We can't begin to thank everyone who helped on this project enough!!! We did a rough count and there are 42 people from numerous countries that were involved in some significant way to make this car happen...so THANK YOU to each and everyone of them!

We hope for a few more tweaks and gains as we continue to play, but we are just soo excited to finally be in the 160 Club - and to do it at 40Hz is just plain Awesome!!!

Cheers,

Scott

Congrats on the 60 :drinks:

You guys definitely deserve it with all the work you put in.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Congrats on beating 160!

I guess with the complications mainly around the alternator, it'd be best to find another vehicle for a sound build than the Astra? Or unless your guy is able to market a stable product as a go around for the Astra's alternator issue?

Bass Music Producer • Photographer • Graphic Designer

--------------

Deep Sector Boom...

Just read the whole thread amazing work, hopefully I learned something and will use some of your skill in my upcoming build going to be in a hatch ( Toyota celica ) going for more of a performace route so wont be anything huge. the quality of the build is inspiring ! great work ! and gratz on the 160 !

WOW!!!

Hey Guys thanks for all your support, we're just sooo stupidly happy at the moment... it's been a long road and a lot of people have been involved, but our goal from Day 1 has been to have a musical car, that looked 'decent' (we know this is no Alpine-level show car), and we wanted to break 160 in some way shape or form!

All we wanted was to play with the Big Boys and to show that Australia can keep up with all of the crazy builds from 'Merica and Europe. On a side note it's also a huge accomplishment to do this number with a relatively unknown brand like Phoenix Gold and show just how capable and reliable the brand and equipment can be... I think the other thing that makes us proud is how many people comment on how good this car sounds. Obviously we've gone for the more is better build, so none of our equipment is ever really working at 100%, so we can play well above 155 and remain musical which is pretty ridiculous and scares the heck out of people when they get to close and the bass drops :D

OK enough rambling, still on a massive high after last night.

Cheers,

Scott

Archived