Up until now, I've had my 8" mid-bass drivers in separate, little 1/2 cube sealed boxes. I've had them grabbing a pretty narrow range.... from about 80hz to 250hz.

With my new sub setup, I had to dis those little separate boxes, and mount the 8" mid-bass drivers right into my rear false floor. After I took one of the 8"s out of the sealed box, I tapped the cone with my finger, and of course it jumped / moved twice as far, as the other one still in the floor (captain obvious, right?) .... so anyway, they will be somewhat separated from front to rear, but certainly not sealed.

My question is, what sound difference should I expect from my little 8" mid-bass drivers mounted free air, vs. sealed ??? Louder ? Any potential problems ? Will the power handling be less ? I'm a little concerned about that, as these are pretty light little mid0bass drivers (not 8" sub woofers) that are only rated for like 80wts RMS, and I'm already giving them about 110 wts, as it is.... but again, remember I'm not asking much of a frequency range from them, so this should help, huh ?

Your thoughts ?

Thanks,

Fish

Bump

Nobody ?

Surely a few of you must have some 8"s, and maybe even 10" mid-bass drivers squeezed into your bad-a$$ door builds ? These are probably free air, huh ? Or are some of these actually "sealed" enclosure built into the doors ? {as if fiberglass door builds are not a major PITA in the first place !}

Well, if nobody wants to take a shot at it, I'll report my finding in a couple days, as I just took my 8"s out of their cozy little sealed enclosures, and will be mounting them into my rear, false floor today.....

Peace,

Fish

Up until now, I've had my 8" mid-bass drivers in separate, little 1/2 cube sealed boxes. I've had them grabbing a pretty narrow range.... from about 80hz to 250hz.

With my new sub setup, I had to dis those little separate boxes, and mount the 8" mid-bass drivers right into my rear false floor. After I took one of the 8"s out of the sealed box, I tapped the cone with my finger, and of course it jumped / moved twice as far, as the other one still in the floor (captain obvious, right?) .... so anyway, they will be somewhat separated from front to rear, but certainly not sealed.

My question is, what sound difference should I expect from my little 8" mid-bass drivers mounted free air, vs. sealed ??? Louder ? Any potential problems ? Will the power handling be less ? I'm a little concerned about that, as these are pretty light little mid0bass drivers (not 8" sub woofers) that are only rated for like 80wts RMS, and I'm already giving them about 110 wts, as it is.... but again, remember I'm not asking much of a frequency range from them, so this should help, huh ?

Your thoughts ?

Thanks,

Fish

Edited by Fish Chris

ive been using my stuff free air. for a while now.

a selenium 8 and 6 in midbass.

they sound great. i never understood what a sealed enclosure would do for them

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

i used both setups sealed and free air, my experience free air takes less power more efficient , sealed can handle more power less efficient but i think sound better if you feed them the power you get more kick out of your midbassand can handle more power

Mr Skippy, okay, I'm a dummy.... What's the difference ? I've always just used the term free air, to describe any speaker not in a box.

Anyway, I just mounted them in the portion of floor, this side, of my old box, in this picture....

119602530.jpg

I'm definately going to stuff the whole underside of the open space there, and was even thinking about building a little 4" carpeted wall in the front of that open space.... but it would be more for looks, as it still won't be exactly air tight.

So anyway, short of building a complete surrounded backing (putting them back in a box) I am trying to seperate the air under the false floor, and in the cab, as much as possible....

Soff, yea, about the power handling, that's what I've heard. I hope I don't blow them any time soon, as in the near future, I hope to be adding two more 8" mid-bass drivers, as 1) I totally have enough power for them, and 2) I purposely left enough space in my rear open floor....

Peace,

Fish

I'm confused, are you talking about free air or IB?