Second Skin Audio

Noobie with lots of questions about hatchback

I am a complete noob at car audio, so I might be posting here a lot in the future. I have a couple questions I am hoping I can get info on. I recently bought my first car. I bought a 94 Honda Civic DX hatchback. Before I bought the car, I had thought that, when I had the money, I would get 2 Kicker 12" CompVR 2 ohms in an enclosure straight from Kicker, and a Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D amp. But as time has gone on, more ideas have come to me. So, my questions are thus:

1.) The 94 Honda Civic DX Hatchback came stock with a rear cargo cover. When I bought the car, it did not have a cargo cover. I could make one myself. Would the subs sound better in an open, or closed hatch?

2.) If an open hatch would sound better, would it be possible to make a DIY cargo hatch cover, and cut holes in it, and mount the speakers in it?

3.) What kind of sub configuration would be best for my car? I have a very eclectic listening selection, from metal to sticky sweet, rot your teeth out bubblegum jpop. Though my genre of choice is prog rock/metal/rock. If I were to go with the cargo hatch cover above as the speaker mount, I would physically have space for up to 3 12" subs, or 2 15" subs. But... I honestly have no idea how any of these configurations would sound. So, I need the help of the people who know. What kind of setup should I look into? 1 12? 2? 3? 1 15? 2? Or perhaps some 10s? Please give your opinions. And if possible, could you suggest specific sub models (manufacturer/model). I LOVE music. I love LOUD music. But I am willing to compromise volume for sound quality. I want it to be loud, but I want it to sound good. And please no $500 speakers. I am by no means some elitist audiophile (im not saying all audiophiles are elitist). I want good quality on a budget.

If it would be best NOT to mount the speakers in the cargo hatch cover, the same question applies, but my cargo hatch can prolly only physically hold 2 12s, or MAYBE 2 15s (if they are mounted at an angle). My hatch is... ~45"x19" at the top, where the cargo hatch cover is. It is only about 36" wide at the base, due to the wheel wells.

So, please help me out!

Edited by Cauthan

I am a complete noob at car audio, so I might be posting here a lot in the future. I have a couple questions I am hoping I can get info on. I recently bought my first car. I bought a 94 Honda Civic DX hatchback. Before I bought the car, I had thought that, when I had the money, I would get 2 Kicker 12" CompVR 2 ohms in an enclosure straight from Kicker, and a Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D amp. But as time has gone on, more ideas have come to me. So, my questions are thus:

1.) The 94 Honda Civic DX Hatchback came stock with a rear cargo cover. When I bought the car, it did not have a cargo cover. I could make one myself. Would the subs sound better in an open, or closed hatch?

2.) If an open hatch would sound better, would it be possible to make a DIY cargo hatch cover, and cut holes in it, and mount the speakers in it?

3.) What kind of sub configuration would be best for my car? I have a very eclectic listening selection, from metal to sticky sweet, rot your teeth out bubblegum jpop. Though my genre of choice is prog rock/metal/rock. If I were to go with the cargo hatch cover above as the speaker mount, I would physically have space for up to 3 12" subs, or 2 15" subs. But... I honestly have no idea how any of these configurations would sound. So, I need the help of the people who know. What kind of setup should I look into? 1 12? 2? 3? 1 15? 2? Or perhaps some 10s? Please give your opinions. And if possible, could you suggest specific sub models (manufacturer/model). I LOVE music. I love LOUD music. But I am willing to compromise volume for sound quality. I want it to be loud, but I want it to sound good. And please no $500 speakers. I am by no means some elitist audiophile (im not saying all audiophiles are elitist). I want good quality on a budget.

If it would be best NOT to mount the speakers in the cargo hatch cover, the same question applies, but my cargo hatch can prolly only physically hold 2 12s, or MAYBE 2 15s (if they are mounted at an angle). My hatch is... ~45"x19" at the top, where the cargo hatch cover is. It is only about 36" wide at the base, due to the wheel wells.

So, please help me out!

I did an open hatch in my mazda3, if you point the subs up it is extremely loud, and pushes the sound right to the front, so its nice and deep, here is what mine look like, so far I like it :P

imag0040lz.jpg

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Black 5 Spd Manual
Pioneer 4300DVD
2 Sundown SA-12 (34hz Tune, 3.22 cubes, 14.5 inches per cube, Triple Baffle)
Kicker 10ZX2500.1 (2845 RMS) Sub Amp
Kicker 11ZX650.4 (705 RMS) Mid Amp -- (3 Amps)
Kicker KQ3 Active Crossover
Kicker KQ30 Equalizer
Kicker 09QS60.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones)
Kicker 09QS65.2 Components (Woven Carbon Cones) - (3 Sets)
2/0 Gauge Electron Beam Technologies (3 Runs, 2 +, 1 -)

1/0 Gauge KNU Kollasal Flex (1 Run for -)

300 Ft Kicker X-Series 16 Gauge Speaker Wire
XS Power D3400 (Rear)
XS Power D3100 (Front)
Singer Externally Regulated Alternator (Being Built)

+ The Love for Car Audio and BASS <3

UBL Build Log <------- Click Here-------> Normal Build Log (For Comments)

I would get a hatch cover, and do 2 10s in a sealed box...

firing up.. the only reason for the cover, so no one steals your shit when you go anywhere..

other than that, look into obsidian audio, on this forum, ill see if i can get DJ in here to PM you the details

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

My car is a hatchback as well and as you can see in my avatar I have it set-up differently. But theres many ways you can do it.. Looking up, looking back. It all sounds good.

VfA79.jpg

2004 Melky Toyota Scion xB

Kenwood Touchscreen Headunit

4 15" Kicker CVR

4 6" Audiopipe

6 8" Audiopipe

6 Tweeters Audiopipe

1 Rockford Fosgate T2500.1 bd

1 Lanzar 3000

1 Audiopipe 1500

2 Optimum YellowTop Batteries

The Big Three

19" rims

and more..

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/119197-build-log-scion-xb-4-15-kicker/

So... no one has said otherwise, so I would assume the answer to my questions above is put the subs in an enclosure, not in the hatch cover?

put them in an enclosure, not the cover

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

Aight, in that case, I may use the hatch cover to mount some 6x9s. The Civic DX did not come with rear speaker mounts. And Honda no longer sells replacement parts. So chances are, I would have to look around for used stuff.. and prolly not find anything.