Second Skin Audio

Will this box work?

I ordered a Fi Q 12 and an AQ-1200D. It will go inside of my 2001 BMW 330i. I want to make an angled box that will sit up against the back of the trunk.

Fi recommends at least 1.8 cubic ft and tuned to about 32hz. I entered the dimensions on the Re calculator and got this box

bEOKX.png

My question is will it be okay if the port is against the back of the trunk AND on the opposite side of the sub itself. Thanks.

Edited by Reptar

you could have some cancellations from that and i dont think that port would work like that since the port area is different on both ends

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

it's ok for the port to be on the back but how close will the port be to the back of the trunk? and I have no idea how the tuning would work on that.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

it's ok for the port to be on the back but how close will the port be to the back of the trunk? and I have no idea how the tuning would work on that.

The port will be like 2-3inches away from the back of the trunk. I would port it from the front but I don't know how you could do that. If anyone has pictures of a front ported angled box please tell me.

you could either do the port on the side like dcofer was saying or you could make the port horizontal with 2 common port walls and have the port at the top or bottom of the box

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

I wouldnt think that you would want a port that changes lengths at the mouth. can you have the port along the back wall and exit the side? that way it is equal length top to bottom

I have no specifications except that it needs to be angled. I could do what you're saying, but I wouldn't know how to make that port. Is there people that can make a box design with all the dimensions including the port? I have no idea how port length and port area and frequency works.

Edited by Reptar

If I had time I could input it into Torres Calculator and use sketchup to model it but I currently dont that that time. I do recommend downloading that calculator as it is made by one of the member and is very user friendly. It might be good to read his main post to to figure out what all the calculations and fields mean.

As for the port you could also look into using say an aero port or just a standard circular port running along the back wall instead of a slot port, just something to look into. Also probably tune it to 32-36Hz.

Port area you want to try andhave 12-16 inches squared per cubic foot of net volume (volume after all displacements)that is also displayed in Torres calculator (not visual like the RE one though).

Good luck

Edited by dcofer

If I had time I could input it into Torres Calculator and use sketchup to model it but I currently dont that that time. I do recommend downloading that calculator as it is made by one of the member and is very user friendly. It might be good to read his main post to to figure out what all the calculations and fields mean.

As for the port you could also look into using say an aero port or just a standard circular port running along the back wall instead of a slot port, just something to look into. Also probably tune it to 32-36Hz.

Port area you want to try andhave 12-16 inches squared per cubic foot of net volume (volume after all displacements)that is also displayed in Torres calculator (not visual like the RE one though).

Good luck

If I cut out a hole big enough for one of these tubes in the side would that be good? This aero port thing looks a lot easier if I am understanding correctly. How would tuning the box work then?

It is low on the port area side however I am not completely sure how to do it on areo ports but one 4" areo 10" long should tune you around should tune you to ~35.11hz using Torres calculator. If you can get one wth flares on both ends

edit: This port and before you seal it solid you can test different lengths and see if it is sounding right to you but I would start at 10" long

Edited by dcofer