Sonic Electronix

i have a pair of PolkAudio DXI5000(i think?... dxi something anyway) and a PolkAudio P660 amplifier. twice now a tweeter has blown and im wondering.. are the speakers just crap or the amp or some setting on the amp?

i know these speakers are supposed to be 'clean', and i do like that... just i want very loud also.

everything seems to be wired ok and levels on amp as well. i did make sure that the bass was off at least.

what do you guys think? need better speakers? if so, whats a good set?

what about the amp?

damn though.. looks like im going to have to sell my gaming laptop this time.

Is it the crossover on the speaker that is coming apart?

hmm.. it shouldnt be. i just got the speakers in feb. this year and the first time the tweeter blew i took it all back and got an exchange on the whole package.

i do listen to dance music(minimal, techno) very loud. volume on deck goes up to 35 and i regulalrly go to 25. at that volume you can hear it pretty far away.

I asked about the crossover for the tweeter because its an issue ive seen on a few of the Polk DB series speakers.

I would be listening for distortion in the tweeter, like tweeter hiss (from the treble being up to high) or it sounding like its trying to hit too low of a note. (Ive heard this when the 'bass boost' setting is used on an ipod eq).

I have the Rockford Fosgate T1s and they arnt bad, but the tweeter can get alittle tinny. In my SUV I ran Infinity Referance components and they sounded pretty good, but I am swapping those out for the Polk MM series soon.

I ran all Alpine Type R stuff in my friends car and they are pretty clean sounding.

Personally I have never had the chance to really listen to a set of Focals, so I cant compare with those. =/

Archived