Worth buying this alternator?

the few people i know that have used db electrical, have had no issue, but they have had <2000 rms systems, not sure if that matters

id suggest getting a quote from mike singer at singer alternators, see where his price range lands for you, for me, his price was a good deal cheaper for same power alt then some of the competitors i got quotes from and he has a great reputation in the car audio community for multiple reasons and ive heard nothing but good things about his alts

also hoping for a used one from a more reputable company or saving up is the other way to go

Ive heard of singer alternators but actually forgot them when i was considering my options. gonna give em a call tomorrow.

cool, i emailed him and he got back with me the next morning

to chime in, i would honestly save your money. That alt looks like it has poor ventilation and as previously mentioned looks "hot modded". I have a 270 mechman for my system and i do get some voltage drop at idle (it will happen when i draw 160 amps of power at idle, lol) and the alt does get pretty warm but it has great ventilation so i can keep hammering on it and not have it fail me.

The reason i think mine is hot is because its right next to my radiator hose and has a big amount of surface area mounted on the side of the engine to keep it hot. I have had mine for almost a solid year and have been beating the hell out of it and it hasnt failed me.

Just do yourself and your money a favor and save up for a better alt from mechman or dc power. I have owned nothing but mechmans and have nothing but great things to say about them, even after my one alt took a crap (thank you ups for dropping the box) they were still outstanding to work with.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

to chime in, i would honestly save your money. That alt looks like it has poor ventilation and as previously mentioned looks "hot modded". I have a 270 mechman for my system and i do get some voltage drop at idle (it will happen when i draw 160 amps of power at idle, lol) and the alt does get pretty warm but it has great ventilation so i can keep hammering on it and not have it fail me.

The reason i think mine is hot is because its right next to my radiator hose and has a big amount of surface area mounted on the side of the engine to keep it hot. I have had mine for almost a solid year and have been beating the hell out of it and it hasnt failed me.

Just do yourself and your money a favor and save up for a better alt from mechman or dc power. I have owned nothing but mechmans and have nothing but great things to say about them, even after my one alt took a crap (thank you ups for dropping the box) they were still outstanding to work with.

Well if singer falls through, ill hold out for a dc power alt or mechman to come onto the market. ATM, the napa alt i bought with money from my moms to replace my modded piece of shit isnt doing so well lol. And i think my red top is about to go caput. Need to check the voltage its sitting at tho. pulled my door panel off yesterday and discovered my father had never changed the speakers.... Pretty much a broken sponge for a speaker that i've had this whole time... Anywho, i decided to leave the door panel off and as i was leaving to go out yesterday (on my birthday of all days) i saw my trucks lights on. Turns out the push in on the side of my dash to signify whether the lights should be on or off when the door was open or closed wasnt getting PUSHED IN. lol good 14 hours of cabin lights left my red top strugging to turn on the truck. decided not to go out but today i went to the grocery stroe and low and behold, i was sitting at round 12.6 volts at stop lights jumping up to 13.8~ when i would raise engine RPM. so im not sure if the battery just wasnt charging or whatever else had happened but i've had it on a 2amp trickle all day so hopefully that gets resolved. tonight.

TL;DR = FML. ^_^

yea that battery sounds to be dead to me. I used to run a 1400w rms amp at 4 ohms bridged and that puppy was a power hog but i ran that off a stock 150? amp alternator with an xs power s3400 under the hood and no big-3 and it would only drop to 13.3v at full tilt with the engine on. I would slam that system in my parking lot at college full tilt for 4 hours and i could still crank the engine over without any issues. If you want to do something good you can get a battery better than optimas and get an xs power (dont bother with kinetik, they arent as good as they are hyped up to be) and do the big-3. I got away without doing the big-3 but it prob would have helped me if i actually did this on my old car first.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress