Sundown Audio

just starting out... need help

flarobbie

I am kind of new to the game and I really need some advice as to how to start my system. I don't know whether to start with my electrical and alternator, my mids and highs, or my subs and amp. First, let me tell you the ride, then how I need it to be. I have a 2000 durango with a 4.7. I have to keep my 3rd row seat, but i want a spl quality system. Right now it is all stock including the cd player, but i kind of want to keep it for sleeper image. I do have $1k-$1.5k to spend and am very open to advice. I really need help.

1-1.5k isnt much. When Money is no object, its better to start with the foundation of an alt, batter, and wiring. But you may have to build in pieces.

First, its good to start with a nice head unit, and upgraded battery, And also add the mids/highs and amps for them. And all of the proper wiring for that setup. Dont skimp on wiring and hope to upgrade later. Do the deck and speakers and speaker amps proper the first time.

Then with $$ you have left or new $$ coming in, you can add a nice sub amp, all the wiring, a 2nd battery, nice box and subs to the mix

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

^^ this

BUT.. if you can $$$, try to go ahead and wire for everything the first time - just so you dont have to take your 'Rango apart too many times. You almost can't over-wire a car.

Man I'm glad I didn't lock this I get to witness two retards holding hands telling each other that it'll be ok because they are awesome.

A nice head unit is a great place to start. One thing that I hope you don't do is to buy sub-par subs and an amp "just for now". Save that money and put it towards something useful for the future, like a nice battery up front, or some quality "overkill" wiring for use later on.

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

thanks guys. this advice really helped me out. i think im going to buy a bunch of 1/0 wire, and a nice alpine then get to wiring it up. i have been doing some research and I think im going to go with 1 18" ascendant and an amp, but im going to slip some mb qurts highs and mids in for mids and highs first. i was given a 10w6 and a memphis 250w aand i think this is what im going to keep for a bit.

dont skimp on the quality of wire also ... there are many companies out there that have "0ga" wire and its really 4ga. make sure you get a good quality wire like knu wire, rockford, kicker, my personal favorite is welding cable, basically you want to make sure that the wire is a TRUE 0 gauge wire and not alot of jacket. also want to look at the quality of the strands, CCA (copper clad aluminum ) is less conductive then OFC ( oxygen free copper ) good idea to look at if you are unsure of picture is to look at the shipping weight ... if your getting 50' of wire and the shipping weight is only 12 lbs ... might not be very good if the shipping weight is 20+ lbs than its probably a much better wire.

If i had your car and budget i would start out with a nice head unit then do a big 3 upgrade and then wire up an amp for mids and highs and do them with all good wire and once you have a nice clean loud front stage of mids and highs then i would upgrade the sub stage

dont do a massive substage first because then you will not be able to ehar anything but bass and it will not sound good and you will be unhappy with the results

Archived