Sonic Electronix

whats better solid wire or wire with more strans

People don't generally consider solid copper rod as a "wire", so in terms of "wire" strand count only affects flexibility.

As one had mentioned before, Surface area and Resistance matters most. In a solid copper rod, you will get less resistance, but you can't run it entirely through a car. it just isn't practical.

Personally, less wire strand is better for resistance purposes, but don't excuse bad quality for low strand count. Some manufacturers way OVER RATE their wire size buy having thicker jackets. The strand count may be high, but the actual wire thickness would be overall low.

If I could do it, I would run 1/0 solid through my car, but no car audio manufacturers make it, and the wire you can purchase in that size is designed for home/commercial/industrial electrical use, and doesn't have a jacket designed to sustain the harsh external environments an engine bay and undercarriage see on a daily basis.

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

People don't generally consider solid copper rod as a "wire", so in terms of "wire" strand count only affects flexibility.

As one had mentioned before, Surface area and Resistance matters most. In a solid copper rod, you will get less resistance, but you can't run it entirely through a car. it just isn't practical.

Personally, less wire strand is better for resistance purposes, but don't excuse bad quality for low strand count. Some manufacturers way OVER RATE their wire size buy having thicker jackets. The strand count may be high, but the actual wire thickness would be overall low.

If I could do it, I would run 1/0 solid through my car, but no car audio manufacturers make it, and the wire you can purchase in that size is designed for home/commercial/industrial electrical use, and doesn't have a jacket designed to sustain the harsh external environments an engine bay and undercarriage see on a daily basis.

couldn't you buy an insulated tube to put it in like the ones you run electricty through the ground with?

More strands equals more flexibility, that is all. When dealing with DC the number of strands doesn't really matter.

x2

ive seen copper rods for speaker connections on inverted subs. it looked bad ass.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

couldn't you buy an insulated tube to put it in like the ones you run electricty through the ground with?

I assume you could, but again, solid 1/0 practically requires a pipe bender to get it around corners. It just isn't practical to run it long distances through the interior of a car. I was trying out a spool of it in Home Depot one day as I was pretty curious about the same thing. Home Depot had it for just over $1/ft, so I was playing with on the spool. I couldn't even get it do a 90 degree bend with my hands. There was no way I was going to take the time to try and really run it through a firewall and under some carpet.

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

I assume you could, but again, solid 1/0 practically requires a pipe bender to get it around corners. It just isn't practical to run it long distances through the interior of a car. I was trying out a spool of it in Home Depot one day as I was pretty curious about the same thing. Home Depot had it for just over $1/ft, so I was playing with on the spool. I couldn't even get it do a 90 degree bend with my hands. There was no way I was going to take the time to try and really run it through a firewall and under some carpet.

could you run it in combo with the reg 0ga we use for the bends u need?

edit: or would that defeat the purpose?

Edited by Jd1102