Alternator Options For My 2007 Suburban(update 12/27 Please Read)

I have an 07 LT Suburban, which come standard with a 160amp alternator. I was thinking about running a dual alternator system for my truck because I'm about to install a hi-powered audio system in the truck. We're talking well over 4k watts. So what I want to know is how can I setup a dual 200 to 300amp alternator setup that will not kill my warranty? If there is no way to do that then is there a way I can get a 300 to 400amp single alternator that will work with the new 07 suburbans?

Edited by pervitizm

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

You know the answer..,,,Give Dom a call...

BusinessCard_5.jpg

Thanks, I'll give Dom a call.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone here that's running an Iraggi alternator on either a 2007 or 2008 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon?

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Update:

I called my Chevy dealer to find out if they carried a dual alternator bracket setup for my truck and I also wanted to know how adding an additonal alternator would affect my warranty. I was told that the only dual alternator bracket that they carry is for their diesel engine trucks only, which was something I knew already I was just hopeful that they made one for the V8 engines. Guess not. Anyway I was told that if I kept the second alternator totally independent from the factory charging system that it shouldn't void my warranty. He said that the new GM are really flaky when it came to aftermarket electronics interacting with the ecu and that if I could get the second alternator to charge just the additional batteries without needing to interact with the ecu then I should be good to go. My question is how in the hell do I do this? Would I need to get an external regualtor for the second alternator then, since I can't really have it attached to the trucks ecu? Could I use a toggle switch to turn on the second alternator? Man I'm more confussed now that I was yesterday.

Oh yeah, I've sent and email to Iraggi about this too. Just in case someone wanted to bring them up. Still waiting on an answer.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Update:

I called my Chevy dealer to find out if they carried a dual alternator bracket setup for my truck and I also wanted to know how adding an additonal alternator would affect my warranty. I was told that the only dual alternator bracket that they carry is for their diesel engine trucks only, which was something I knew already I was just hopeful that they made one for the V8 engines. Guess not. Anyway I was told that if I kept the second alternator totally independent from the factory charging system that it shouldn't void my warranty. He said that the new GM are really flaky when it came to aftermarket electronics interacting with the ecu and that if I could get the second alternator to charge just the additional batteries without needing to interact with the ecu then I should be good to go. My question is how in the hell do I do this? Would I need to get an external regualtor for the second alternator then, since I can't really have it attached to the trucks ecu? Could I use a toggle switch to turn on the second alternator? Man I'm more confussed now that I was yesterday.

Oh yeah, I've sent and email to Iraggi about this too. Just in case someone wanted to bring them up. Still waiting on an answer.

i've heard of a few people using the stock and dual alternators together. let's just say your stock alt would run your stock equipment and the HO alternator you get can run the extra batteries and amps in the back. you definitely don't have to worry about dimming lights though.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

i've heard of a few people using the stock and dual alternators together. let's just say your stock alt would run your stock equipment and the HO alternator you get can run the extra batteries and amps in the back. you definitely don't have to worry about dimming lights though.

Im wanting to do something like that. This thread helped me a lot to understand. Thanks Guys. I just have 1 question. So when you run the second alternator for your batteries only, can you connect the powe wire from the second designated alternator to the rear battery and then use buss bars on the batteries? Or does it have to run through the front?

• 4 weeks later...

Okay as it stands right now I'm trying to decide on who to go with when it come to running a 2nd alternator for my truck. So I'm deciding between Dave DC Electric and Dom Iraggi. Here is the low down on my options

Dave Dual Alternator Kit will include:

- 1 300-250 amp AD224alternator (claims to do 130 amp at idle due to the 1.8inch drive pulley)

- 1 dual alternator mounting bracket designed to fit a 2007 suburban

- New belt for the alternators, relays, and regulator harness

- Detailed instructions on how to install and test the alternators

- About two weeks wait time

Quoted $660 which includes shipping cost.

Iraggi Alternator Kit will include:

- 1 300 amp alternator (suppose to do around 100 -110 amps at idle)

- 1 dual alternator mounting bracket designed to fit a 2007 suburban

- Wires, belt, and harness not included

- About two weeks wait time

Quoted $530 which includes shipping cost.

I'm leaning more towards the DC Electric kit because it comes with additional materials that I would need, such as the newer drive belt and wiring harness. Not to mention that it will come with instruction on how to properly do this. This will be my first time installing dual alternators so any guidance I can get will be helpful. The only problem is that beside the article I found on Car Audio and Electronics, I haven't heard of anyone using Dave DC Electric company before. I have no feed back to on the quality of their product. With Iraggi, I know that his product is out there with a number of people that can vouch on the quality of his alternators. The price including the group buy here at SMD is right, the only issue is that I would have to go and buy a lot of additional items in order to make this work. Since the truck is so new, I'm almost sure that some of these items I'm gonna have to get from a dealer($$$$).

So this is were I'm at right now. I want to make a decision soon because I plain on ordering tomorrow afternoon. You guys have any input to share before I make my decision? Anything I may be over looking? In other words, if this was your decision, who would you go with and why?

Edited by pervitizm

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes