Sonic Electronix

here are some pics of my boxes that I have sprayed on fleckstone.. TAKES A TON of bondo tho, AND A LOT OF TIME!! cause if the MDF isnt finished right (All edges bondo'd, all screw holes filled, corners are perfect) the outcome looks like shit, and you just wasted a bunch of money, and time... Anyways, here are the pics

4 18"s ported box

DSCF1380.jpg

IMAGE_034.jpg

1 8" T-Line box

2011-09-12140026.jpg

2011-09-12140019.jpg

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

OP: there are plenty of things you can do to finish your box. Since you have mdf i personally think it would look like garbage if you were to stain the wood and then varnish it. MDF is just a pile of sawdust glued together so if you stained it and then varnished it, to me it would look like a soggy cardboard box.

You can do what newls1 showed but it does take a lot of bondo, sanding, preperation, time and patience to do.

Another thing you could try to do would be to get some finished wood in a thin sheet and glue that to the outsides of the box, then you can stain and varnish it at your own preference.

Now for what id say to do which isnt all that hard to do and was a lot cheaper and easier for me was to carpet the enclosure. I went to lowes and bought a roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting that had a very minimal amount of ribbing on the carpet pattern and was about 1/8 thick so its was really heavy duty which i liked. I then got a tub of indoor/outdoor carpet glue and some small fine tooth spreaders to apply the glue. I first wiped the box down with a damp cloth, let it air dry, centered the box on the roll of carpet and then applied the glue on the entire box's sides and stapled/stretched it down to make it flat.

Now for some this can be a little tedious because you have to line everything up right on the dot, stretch the carpet as you go along to keep it wrinkle/bubble free, and take a nail gun every so often to hold down the seams/edges well. Since my dad installed carpeting for years i had all the tools and tricks of the trade on my side but it is really not as hard as it seems to do. Just start halfway on one side, work your way around the box and then finish that side on the first half finished side. When you come to the seams you need to overlap the carpeting, take a very sharp knife and press down hard to cut both pieces of carpeting and then you apply the glue and nail it together. If i can do a box wrap you can too man.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress