is it ok to port 6.5 speakers?

Guest 12vcity

I think you can buy a new one,or read more information about it.

I'm going to build custom ported enclosures for the Insignia NS B2111 6.5" coaxial speakers. I'd like for them to be flat down to 80hz since they will be crossed over to a sub at 80hz.

The enclosures will be built into an existing entertainment center. This is not my choice, and it's not for me. But it's all she will allow and it's at least better than the tiny 3.5" Sony speakers she's already perfectly happy with. :No:

I can give them up to 1.8 cu.ft. internal volume if tuned to 40hz with a 3" port. Just wondering if that is the way to go, or if smaller would somehow be better. Or if a different tuning frequency would be good?

I would suggest thinking about finding an already designed speaker. I have seen some pages where private speaker designers put out build logs, parts lists and crossover designs for their work. Then you can get plans for good speakers that have been through testing and rebuilds allready, so you dond have to.

• 2 months later...

This site helps a lot with any home theater issues might have.

to answer your question of sealed vs ported, there's a little calculator found on that site (linky) that gives you a more definite answer.

i was just in this page you suggested, lots of info..... thank you.

I would suggest thinking about finding an already designed speaker. I have seen some pages where private speaker designers put out build logs, parts lists and crossover designs for their work. Then you can get plans for good speakers that have been through testing and rebuilds allready, so you dond have to.

yup first person was Steve's towers but i ran into a small problem that i can't find the AA poly mids. E-mailed Scott and even called 3 times and nobody responded. Even called Audio innovations in Fresno and they said no we don't have those. ohhhh well i guess i will have to settle for less. : ( I really liked those mids because it was a done deal. Now im still trying to find the right speakers. Ordered some power acoustik but no way they didn't work.

something else to consider is doing your mids in a t-line tower design. I have had very good results in all of the t-line towers i have built. Great for SQ since the speaker is seeing a free air environment and the bass is impressive when done right. There is nothing like shaking a room with a pair of 6" mids lol

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived