Help Using DD-1 On My Alpine Digital PDX Amplifier

Hey guys I really need some help here using my dd-1. I got it today and it's pretty awesome. So stoked to have it. My problem is, it seemed to work perfectly on my alpine mrx amplifier for my sub, but I couldn't get it to work properly on my Alpinde PDX F4 amplifier. A bunch of weird things were happening and I think its something to do with the pdx amps being digital and also how they put out the same power at 2 or 4 ohms. Also the speaker connections are kind of weird using those plugs Can someone help me so I can properly use the dd-1 on this amp. Here are some of the weird things that happened when I tried to use it on the pdx.

1) I first found out my head unit clipping volume by just directly connecting my rcas to the dd-1. I also had all EQs and everything flat. Out of volume 40 my headunit didnt clip it all at 1khz or 40hz. At 39 I could run some equalization and they also didnt clip. So I figured I would set the volume at 39. Then I used the method of testing the head unit volume through the amps to double check. I had all frequencies turned all the way up or down and the gains all the way down as it says in the directions. I found the same results on the sub amp, but I my pdx now it was telling me my headunit was clipping at 38 and if i barely put on any equalization it would clip. This seems strange because I should find the same results by just connecting the rcas to the dd-1 or going through the amp.

2) Anyways I figured I would set the pdx up using the volume 38. Now its weird cause I connected the positive first to my channel 1 and it only let me turn the gain up just barely. Like maybe 2% of how far the knob can be turned. I know this can't be right. I tried a -5db and the -10db track and it still just barely let me turn the gain up. So I tried channel 2 and it doesnt. Pick up any signal at all on the dd-1. This is weird because I know all my speakers put out before. I also found out that channel 4 does the same thing. So I then set the gain for chaneel 3/4 by connecting to channel 3. Then it let my turn the gain all the way up to like 50% before distorting. What the heck is happening? All channels 1-4 should be the same.

What is happening here with the pdx?

What if you try it at a lower volume? You might just be on the verge of clipping and as soon as you touch the gain it clips.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

I didn't try setting it at a lower volume, but isn't the point of the dd-1 to match the amps to the highest unclipped volume of the deck. When I directly connected my rcas to the dd-1 and test 40hz and 1khz my deck didnt clip at all with all eqs flat. At volume 39 I could turn up my eq settings on the deck 1 or 2 which is in 2db increments I believe. So for some reason testing the deck through my pdx amplifier with all gains turned down and everyting it clips sooner with the deck set flat and everything too.

I am directly connected from my deck to both amps. No extra EQs or anything.

And no crossover setting. I turned everything all the way down or up and my EQ on the deck was flat and gains all the way down.

Did you get my reply last night?

Yah thanks for the speedy late night reply. Im glad I got someone to ask questions when I know you guys are really busy. Sorry I havent responded yet. I havent tried testing the negative on channels 2 and 4 yet. Wanted to try to get some more info before I tear my amps out again to test. Im not sure if thats going to work though because the pdx amps dont connect the speaker output like most ordinary amps. They actually have plugs on them. Its weird cause the plugs have a positive and negative symbol on them, but they don't say which way to put the plug in. I've always assumed that the plugs just always connect with the right polarity somehow.

Anyways if I dont get any more possibilities I will try just that later?

Also, just for a general question. Does it make sense for 2 equal channels that have the same signal and should have the same output to be set completely different with the gain knobs on a 4 channel amp like mine.

And here is a picture I found on google just to remind you of the amp Im dealing with and the plugs Im talking about. I know this amp is not your general amp with its compact digital technology. Something is up with it though and working with the DD-1.

IMG_0818.JPG

• 5 months later...