Sonic Electronix

How to Figure Up Ported Box Volume

Okay well i am a 15 year old bass head and i am really trying to learn! Soon i will be making a ported box but a good friend of my family who has been an installer for 12+ years is drawing up the plans for me. I just want to know how to do this all. Like for example making the right volume size, how do u figure up how much air the wood will take up inside for the ports, and how much the woofer itself takes up, and how in general to start a plan for the box. Say u Need it to fit under the back seat of your truck like in my case. The box will hold a single MTX 10" powered by a 500 watt amp. I can go a lot longer then i can tall. The seat is sloped so the back of the box would be much shorter then the front. How would a guy figure all this up?? So confused haha thanks guys! :ghost:

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Okay well i am a 15 year old bass head and i am really trying to learn! Soon i will be making a ported box but a good friend of my family who has been an installer for 12+ years is drawing up the plans for me. I just want to know how to do this all. Like for example making the right volume size, how do u figure up how much air the wood will take up inside for the ports, and how much the woofer itself takes up, and how in general to start a plan for the box. Say u Need it to fit under the back seat of your truck like in my case. The box will hold a single MTX 10" powered by a 500 watt amp. I can go a lot longer then i can tall. The seat is sloped so the back of the box would be much shorter then the front. How would a guy figure all this up?? So confused haha thanks guys! :ghost:

Torres Calculator in the enclosure section.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I understand the calculator. What about the displacement of the hump in the floor tho. Howdo I figure that

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

I understand the calculator. What about the displacement of the hump in the floor tho. Howdo I figure that

length times height times width of the inside measurements of the box.

then subtract displacements of the port and subs.

to figure displacement of the port, don't think of it as a tube, think of it as a box inside your box, only figure with the width, height and depth, external measurements, of what will actually be poking into your speaker box. (IE: 3/4" to 1.5" will be part of a wall or baffle so you wouldn't count that part.)

Edit: for complex stuff, well pay attention in geometry class.

to figure displacement of the port, don't think of it as a tube, think of it as a box inside your box, only figure with the width, height and depth, external measurements, of what will actually be poking into your speaker box. (IE: 3/4" to 1.5" will be part of a wall or baffle so you wouldn't count that part.)

this is the most important thing in this thread

do not rely on calculators to do simple math

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

this is the most important thing in this thread

do not rely on calculators to do simple math

So for the displacement of the hump i would measure over how far over the hump i want to go, how tall and how wide? then subtract that from the box? Im still confused tho on how to know how big the box needs to be.. would i just start some where and then determin if i need to add or subtract air space?? Damn this is confusing haha

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

So for the displacement of the hump i would measure over how far over the hump i want to go, how tall and how wide? then subtract that from the box? Im still confused tho on how to know how big the box needs to be.. would i just start some where and then determin if i need to add or subtract air space?? Damn this is confusing haha

imagine you have a perfectly rectangular box let's say 15x40x15 just for the hell of it. assuming 3/4" mdf was used, you have a 4.06 ft^3 box.

now imagine the hump in the middle of your truck is a perfect rectangle as well. it's dimensions being 3x12x15.

since the hump is a perfect rectangle, you can go into torres calc and enter it's dimensions in as if it were the port, because it displaces air the same way. this is probably the easiest way to approximate the amount of air it displaces. which ends up being .5 ft^3, making the new internal volume 3.56 ft^3.

now if you did go the fiberglass route, you would enter the .5 ft^3 the hump displaced as bracing displacement. make sure to enter the box dimensions in as if it were .75 inches taller than it actually is, because the bottom of the box isn't .75 inches thick anymore.

does this make sense?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Archived