Multiple battery setup help

I just installed another amp and 2 more 10" subs(infinity ref1020w), before i put those in i had a little dimming at med to high volume levels but now it dims at medium to low levels. My vehicle comes stock with a 90 amp alt, can i just run 0g wire from the battery under the hood to a battery in the vehicle and the alt will charge both or should i get a better alt. I am on the cheaper side so i would rather get another battery than another alt as it will be a bitch to change because the engine is mounted sideways.

Any help would be great.

if you only have 90 amps you have about 35 reserve for your car. You need an alternator because that one wont be lasting long.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Well this aint no expensive system all decent stuff and it is under powered, but i still love it and it hits hard and loud.

2 12" pioneer ts-w304c:

600 Watts Max Music Power

300 Watts Nominal Power Handling

Frequency Response: 18-2,000Hz

Sensitivity (Efficiency): 89dB (1W/1m)

4ohm Rated

sony xplod 1000 watt amp wired to pioneers

2 10" infinity 1020w

Power Handling, RMS 250W

Power Handling, Peak 1000W

Sensitivity 90dB

Frequency Response (±3dB) 22Hz - 800Hz

Impedance 4 Ohms

couistic 380 amplifier wired to the infinitys

0g wire from the battery to a distribution block inside the vehicle and 2 4g wires out, 1 to each amp, 100 amp fuse, 4g groung to the body in the back of the vehicle

Pioneer deh-23ub headunit

play decaf's zips most of the time

have not done the big 3 or upgraded alternator or no second battery

I am cheap and have gotten most of this stuff in trade deals so I am at the point now where i have a good system but major headlight dimming so i am going to have to sink some cash into this build

not sure if the big 3 would help or not, I want to take care of this problem as cheaply as possible, rather not do an alternator because they are expensive, would rather add a second battery or even do the big 3, i can get a 130 amp replacement for a newer version of my vehicle but had teh same engine but it is $150

what ever would be the cheapest fix would be best, could upgrade to the 130 amp alt if i have to but would rather not as the alternator is a bitch to get to because the engine is mounted sideways

i am a senior in high school and am not working, had a tech support job, worked for 6 months and absolutely hated it so quit, want to get another job to build a better system

Mixing of subs aside, do a bit of research and see what options you have out there for alts. $150 is not a bad price at all if it is reliable with warranty. It is likely you may still see some dimming with that size alt depending on your battery under the hood, but it also may be a big price jump to get any larger alt than that 130 so you'll have to decide how much it is worth to you to get rid of that last bit of dimming.

You are not running that much power though so I would double check all your power and ground connections and then do the big three to see if this helps enough for you. The big three will help on its own and is necessary if you get a new alt so you should do that first either way, thats how I would do it anyways.

good luck!

edit: i feel you on the dumb alternator placement. I just replaced mine and had to remove the front tire to get at it through the wheel well...wtf?

Edited by mrd6

Team NorthWestSPL

Yeah, Im gonna end ep needing a new alternator sooner or later but dont have the money to lay out for a 200+ amp so I'll probably just do the big 3 for now and check all my connections. I have plans in the future to put a better system in but just dont have the cash now to do so but I am happy with my setup for now.

I normaly wouldn't mix the subs but they were given to me and the coustic amp was just sitting around so i decided to hook them up.

I am a kicker or pioneer kind of guy so my future system is gonna be either of those subs.

My alt is on the passenger side towards the back of the engine. i can see it fine but getting to it is a bitch.

Edited by codeym

Yeah, Im gonna end ep needing a new alternator sooner or later but dont have the money to lay out for a 200+ amp so I'll probably just do the big 3 for now and check all my connections. I have plans in the future to put a better system in but just dont have the cash now to do so but I am happy with my setup for now.

I normaly wouldn't mix the subs but they were given to me and the coustic amp was just sitting around so i decided to hook them up.

I am a kicker or pioneer kind of guy so my future system is gonna be either of those subs.

My alt is on the passenger side towards the back of the engine. i can see it fine but getting to it is a bitch.

Do the big three and post some pics.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley