Second Skin Audio

glue and screws? clamps or weights

I'm in the process of glueing double layers of 3/4 mdf for my wall and just wanted to know if

Glue and multiple screws would suffice instead of clamps...

I o not have 2 clamps...

But once I glued and screwed them together. I'm putting about 170 lbs of weight on it laying flat.

I'm using the subs as weight.

Would this work out well?

And to glue the sides of the box and hold them there. I'm goin to be using 90 degree brackets.

Would that be enough to hold?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

I'm in the process of glueing double layers of 3/4 mdf for my wall and just wanted to know if

Glue and multiple screws would suffice instead of clamps...

I o not have 2 clamps...

But once I glued and screwed them together. I'm putting about 170 lbs of weight on it laying flat.

I'm using the subs as weight.

Would this work out well?

And to glue the sides of the box and hold them there. I'm goin to be using 90 degree brackets.

Would that be enough to hold?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Yes that's fine. If your putting 170 lbs on it flat that's just as good as clamps

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

you will be fine with glue, screws, and clamps imo. No need to add weight. Just use the clamps to hold the freshly glued wood together while you pre drill holes and screw the wood together, then you can take the clamps off.

I don't think he has clamps that's why he asked if screws and the weight of the subs would be enough

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

add the weight before screwing. if u screw it down even the added weight wont help because the screws will keep any gap between the pieces a constant. ive had times where a screw would push the top board up rather than pull them together. so, adding the weight to keep the together then screwing would work great IMO

1999 Ford ExplorerTeam Sundown Audio4th 2012 Db Drag WF Street Stock 150.8dbYoutube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/BoomyurblownOperation 156 No wall Build Log!http://www.stevemead...x/#entry2196123

Oh dang. I predrilled holes. Then glues and screwed.

Now weight is on top of it.

I should remove the weight now because it could push the screws up?

Then next time I pre drill, glue, add weight, then screw down

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Oh dang. I predrilled holes. Then glues and screwed.

Now weight is on top of it.

I should remove the weight now because it could push the screws up?

Then next time I pre drill, glue, add weight, then screw down

nono youre fine! just saying in the case if you screwed it down and if you were to notice the screw pushing the two boards apart, or not pulling them together all the way, you could use weight to pull them together first. as long as the screw pull the boards together so the glue can bond you're all good!

1999 Ford ExplorerTeam Sundown Audio4th 2012 Db Drag WF Street Stock 150.8dbYoutube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/BoomyurblownOperation 156 No wall Build Log!http://www.stevemead...x/#entry2196123

Ahhh okay, I see!

I don't have many clamps so I was trying to substitute. Ha

Thanks dk, jp, and taylor for your help and replies.

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

why are you even screwing wood in the first place?

Just add weight+clamps and glue, thats a better option, since too many screws make it weaker.

i disagree. screws will always be used in my boxes. i dont understand how a steel fastener could ever weaken something