Sonic Electronix

So here's the deal. I'm trying to figure out some stuff. I've been doing audio for a while but I'm by no means a pro or even close to it.

What I want to know is how do you determine how to build a power system? Let me explain a little.

I see some of these builds where you have 4 18's and guys have like 8 batteries and 15 runs of 1/0ga from front to back, and 4 alternators to help and all this shit. HOW do guys come up with that? Look at Meade's build for instance.

He's running 4 18's, 8 RF 2500.bbcd's. Lots of power there for just subs. He throws in the 2 1000.4's and a 600.2 for a grand total of 30k watts, as it says. So to power it he has 4 mechman 350 amp alternators, 10 xs power D3100 batteries, and the xs power voltage control module. Then he runs 6 1/0 ga positive cables from front to back, and 6 1/0 ga negative cables front to back. Then another obscene amount to the battery bank.

I know it's a crap load of power, a ton of batteries and that's why the amount of wires, but how does one determine how much you need? I'd love to learn more about this to help in designing my truck system. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thank you.

It's actually not as complex as you make it sound. You would figure out the current draw of what you are trying to run, and then you build accordingly.

Good read here

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

ok im gonna be complicated. noob with power...

dc 9k, running 18v 1ohm for now.

how many batts will i need lol

or how do i determine how many i need? by looking at what? the batterys AH ect

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

To calculate approximately how much current an amplifier draws just start thinking like this.

Total Power / Supply Voltage = Current; then increase by 20% to allow for inefficencies.

So total RMS watts / voltage = current. Once you know how much current you will be drawing, you can figure what steps need to be made so you can stablize the electrical to supply the need. Also notice in the formula, the lower the voltage, the higher the current....O_O

Current draw, take you 9000/16v=562amps@ 100% efficiency which now amp is, realistically probably 70% at that voltage. So that would be another 168 amps, for a total of 730 amps just for sub amps, another 40-50 for the vehicle. So you're talking about needing around 800 amps of current to provide for the system, without other amps for mids and highs. So, 2 300amp alts and a couple batteries, kinetik, xs, whatever your preference. This is assuming you'll be running and 16v of course.

Edited by miniSPLlancer

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

To calculate approximately how much current an amplifier draws just start thinking like this.

Total Power / Supply Voltage = Current; then increase by 20% to allow for inefficencies.

So total RMS watts / voltage = current. Once you know how much current you will be drawing, you can figure what steps need to be made so you can stablize the electrical to supply the need. Also notice in the formula, the lower the voltage, the higher the current....O_O

oh ok then that makes sence, now how would you determine the amount of batteries you would need?

how would you determine how much power you can get out of an alternator?

like is there an equation or something?

Is there an equation to tell you exactly how many calories a specific burger has? Yes, but very timely. You can always test your alternator output yourself at idle speeds and at low RPMs...OR...go with a company under a name you can trust. I know that with my Mechman 270 units I clamp AT LEAST 270 amps.

Edited by TeamHT