Sonic Electronix

I have 2 questions regarding box bracing (I don't have much experience with it, so input would be appreciated)

1. Should I fiberglass my dowels where they attach to the box panels or is a glue and screw sufficient?

2. I am going to do the resin 45s on my box. Should I mix some 1/4" chopped fiberglass in with it for strength(This stuff)? I recall reading that a forum member here had problems with them cracking unless he mixed in 'kitty hair.'

Glue and screw/nail is fine for securing the dowels that you use for bracing. Once the glue fully dries/cures the glued joint will be stronger then the wood itself and if it was to break it would break chunks of the wood out. Just use a quality woodglue like Elmers, or Tightbond 1 or 2 ( i prefer tightbond 3 myself) But if your resining the entire inside of the box, resining the dowel and around the dowel will not hurt it none :)

As for the resined 45s, yes mixing chop mat in the resin will make it very strong and sturdy!!! Without the chop mat, there really is no where near as much strength.

But you do not need to use the chop mat, lots of people that make resin 45s just use resin it seems. I like my boxes strong so the chop mat is a good idea!

Archived