Big 3 Stock Alternator

First off, I've tried searching... But this forum doesn't allow the words "big" or "3" :P

Basically I've ordered a BRZ2400D to replace my Alpine M1000. It will be hooked up @ 2 ohms so it will only be 1700 RMS.

My electrical atm is pretty hard done by. I have a second battery in the back and voltage drop around 12.5 volts on it.

I've ordered 50' of 0 gauge so I'll have plenty of wire. I was just wondering if I should go ahead and do it at the same time I install my amp. I was also thinking of adding another battery?

I'm gonna get a HO alternator around christmas time, but I need to know if doing the Big 3 upgrade beforehand will help at all? I'll be rewiring to 1 ohm on the amp with a new sub after christmas, so the stock alternator is not an option at that point. :P

It will help out :good: . Use xs power batterys dont use acid batterys.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

just a tip, since the site search sucks, go into google and put " smd - big three" or stevemeadedesigns big three" or whatever you're searching for, and it will usually come up; even more if you click the "more from stevemeadedesigns.com link on google. <_<

Edited by Mtnbikecrazy55

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

just a tip, since the site search sucks, go into google and put " smd - big three" or stevemeadedesigns big three" or whatever you're searching for, and it will usually come up; even more if you click the "more from stevemeadedesigns.com link on google. <_<

Good tip :good:. I used it before and it works

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

It will help out :good: . Use xs power batterys dont use acid batterys.

What's so much worse about acid batterties?

Ok thanks for the help, I'll just do it when I get the wire.

Thanks for the tip about searching smd... that should help :P

Acid batteries can explode or leak and It will cause a lot of problems... Also agm dry cell batts are made for systems...

and here is how to do the big three

My link

and how to solder the wire

My link

Edited by DK99

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

Okay... So I've just installed my BRZ2400D.

I put top post terminals, idk what you call them but they have 1 bolt to screw tight to the battery post, along with 4 more bolts to squeeze wire together or put lugs. So I only got 25' of my 50' of 0 Gauge as of yet, (So no big 3) and FINALLY figured out where to run the wire... Had to remove the wheel well to wire it through, all existing holes only held 4 gauge...

So.. I wired it all up with that 0 gauge. In the rear there is one 0 gauge ground, and 2/3 4 gauge grounds from before, and just the 8 gauge ground in the front. (Damn those stiff wires :P)

Before: With my Alpine M-1000 at rest my battery was at 14.2 volts in the front, and up to 14 volts after 30 seconds in the rear. On music the front battery voltage never dipped below 13.9 volts (Only hit that occasionally). On music the rear battery would dip down to 12.3 volts minimum. On music the amp would hit 11-12 volts a lot.

Now: With the BRZ2400D wired to 2 ohm for 1700 RMS. Resting in the front is 14.2/.3 and 14.2 in the back. On music it generally stays around 14 volts in the front, but drops down to 13.8 occasionally. On the rear battery it dipped down to 13.6/.7 minimum on music, and popped right back up to 14.2 after music dies down. On music the amp itself dipped down to 13.5 volts minimum (very rarely though, more around 13.6-13.8 volts).

On music I've gone from 12.3 volts minimum on the rear battery and 11 on the amp, to 13.6 minimum on the rear battery and 13.5 minimum on the amp. My voltage decreased by .1 on the front battery.

Now my rear battery had no power to it since Wednesday, and the voltage was down to 12-12.3 from playing my speakers on it. So when I hooked up the front to the back battery I wouldn't have had full charge.

What I'm wondering is how is my voltage increased so much? Does this just mean the 4 gauge wasn't giving the rear battery enough power, or what's the deal?

Edited by jmander11