Second Skin Audio

fiberglass question inside box

The necessity to apply a bunch of glass and mat really boils down to the setup. But here's a few points to think about since you're worried about affecting stuff.

• Adding a layer of resin to a sheet of MDF will seal the porous surface. Covering the interior of the box will seal the seams as well.
  • Mat adds a significant amount of strength. If you used wood glue, then covered it in resin, and you're not running a wild system, then you will be fine with what you've done.
  • Do not worry about the volume displacement of mat/resin. It's negligible.
  • If your seams have visible or questionable gaps, then throw 2-5 layers on it. Whatever you end up being comfortable with.
  • You will get what you pay for with mat/resin.
  • The more you work with it, the better feel you will have to know the when/what/how.

This X 10

Also, check out my box build. I used 3 coats of resin inside the box, then I sanded it all baby butt smooth. May have helped, mat not. But I believe it did. :drinks:

Also, DON"T use bondo brand resin!!! Go to Lows or Home Depot and get some bettter stuff for the same price or cheaper. The biggest difference I noticed was the bondo took two days to fully cure. The good stuff(3M from Lows) took two hours.

Thank you.guys both. For Your replies.

Purple, did you use Fb mat as well or just resin?

And about adding another layer of mat and resin.

Could just adding another layer of resin be good. I don't have alotta mat left and I still needa cover trim panelsbwith them

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

dont put silicone on and then try to glass over it. nothing really sticks to silicone so the glass would just delaminate. but if you only want to seal the box, silicone would be the best thing to use.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

dont put silicone on and then try to glass over it. nothing really sticks to silicone so the glass would just delaminate. but if you only want to seal the box, silicone would be the best thing to use.

That's what I read. Haha.

Thanks once again skittles for clearing things up and helping me..

It's greatly appreciated.

But one more question.

Should I just layer on resin and no mat since I already layered resin> mat> resin the seams before.?

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

i would do atleast 3 layers of matt in all the corners/seams of your wall. not saying you built a shitty wall, but you're using 2 high power 18" subs, might as well be safe then sorry.

Edited by C-Fizzy

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

i would do atleast 3 layers of matt in all the corners/seams of your wall. not saying you built a shitty wall, but you're using 2 high power 18" subs, might as well be safe then sorry.

Thanks Fizzy, ill add another layer of mat today then sand a little.

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

If you're going to take the time to glass the seams of the box, you may as well throw a few layers of mat on the seams. While you're doing the next seam, Snip a small piece of mat and throw some resin on it. Give the resin a day to cure and then check out the "Sample" you made. A single layer might give you the seal you're looking for, but I doubt it'll give you the extra reinforcement you were hoping for.