Sonic Electronix

what makes a subwoofer louder? - scientific

yes.

Neodymium mags just have a lot more BL for the size. They use Neos because to get that much BL in a regular magnet, the sub woudn't fit in the hole.

I'll be honest. I know what BL is but I have no fucking idea what it stands for LOL

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

hmm, so example the solo x and 4hp motor have large bl right?

and so when get a smaller sub, after while even in burp cars, even tho coil survives it on say 5k, when jump to 10k not huge diff?

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

It is possible for a coil to overpower it's BL. Among power compression (more power but not much more sound), it also tends to sound sloppy because there's less control of the cone's movements.

Think of two magnets, each with their own N and S poles. Imagine if one was stronger than the other... the effect of magnetic propulsion and attraction would be less, wouldn't it?

The coil is an electromagnet, working off the reaction of it's field towards the static magnet, aka the motor. You want as much BL as the coil can handle.

2007 Pacifica

hmm i see, we put 4 clarions 500watt max 12's on 1500 watts, did a 143, on 6k did 150.9, on 9k 152 but blew 1

so gonna asume they was meeting they limits lol

where as mate use bigger spl dynamic subs (rated like 10-20k burp) did 2-3db lower then his fusion comp subs (rated a like 3k lol) but tend smell coil with 1 11k amp.

so assume he put another 11k the spl dynamics be louder? and the fusion will blow lol

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

If they can handle it, probably so.

Everything in a sub has to do with balance. You need as much Bl as your coils can use, your cones need to be as strong as necessary to withstand the forces they will be subject to (which makes them less efficient by adding moving mass) and you need as much power as necessary to move the coils, which means you need as much Bl as your coils can use, and so on and so forth LOL.

Just like your car, you need an engine that can move your car so you can make it to work, but you need it to be efficient, which means your car can't weigh too much, which means you only need as much power as necessary to move your car, and so on and so forth.

2007 Pacifica

so overkill on bl can be bad? and to much coil not enough bl bad?

or no real effect lol just tryna learn :D

burp setup for fun 152's

Sounds about right. I admit my knowledge here is mostly in theory, but it's not a hard idea to grasp once you've thought about it enough. It took me a while to figure it out its not like I'm a super genius I'm just a dumb redneck that likes this shit.

But if you had too much BL I don't think it would be a bad thing, except your motor would cost more than it would have to... Maybe you'd burn coils by trying to overdrive them? I dunno for sure. I do know that not enough BL can cause the sound to become muddy at higher volumes, because of lack of control.

2007 Pacifica

If you want the cone to move fast and far then you need a strong reaction between the coil and the magnet.

The bigger the magnet the stronger the magnetic field.

Neo magnets are much stronger per size then the usual ferrite magnets, but also much more expensive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnets

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

well got 3 soundstream xxx gonna use psi recones and put 3k per sub. should get loud easy right lol

burp setup for fun 152's

Archived