Sonic Electronix

what makes a subwoofer louder? - scientific

ok ive been trying to thin about this and i would really like to learn the science behind it. if you take like a 100 watt 12" subwoofer and a 1000 watt 12" subwoofer ... what makes them louder? their both 12" cones moving air so what really makes them louder ?

Mostly the motor, but here are some others: High sensitivity ,High thermal power rating, large mechanical stroke = high displacement...

UNDER-CONSTRUCTION

''Old School Build''

maybe it sounds like an 18 cause theres 3 fucking "port" holes ghetto drilled in the "box"

190 db when your done?

Yea that's the lowest decibal ill be satisfied with when I'm done like I said its stage one and I lost my job u guys should consider shit instead of just talk it

lmao

There was an anology explaining this to me sometime back.. say you have a 12 in shovel and your pushing snow. Well the 100w sub will push it say 2ft were as the 1000w sub can push it 10ft. I think it has to do with motor force and cone force. Someone tell me if I'm wrong

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

it all has to do with speed and the amount of air the cone can move

the more air the sub can manipulate the easier it will be to get loud (basic principle behind cone area is king)

the speed though is the trick and honestly that part i havent quite figured out yet. but there is a reason why if you put more power to a sub (even if it was at xmax on lower power) it will be louder

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Running an alternating electrical current through a coil of wire will produce a varying magnetic field.

That magnetic field interacts with the speaker's permanent magnet and therefore pushes or pulls the cone.

The 1000W sub can handle more thermal stress so therefore you can provide the sub with more voltage which induces more current.

The more current through the sub will produce a stronger magnetic field which can react quicker with the permanent magnet.

Efficiency of the sub also plays a big role so you make use of that power rather than just burn it off in heat.

Since the 100W and 1000W subs have the same cone area, then to be louder the sub needs to move more air.

Of course the enclosure also affects how far the cone can travel and its tuning frequency.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

The key principle in making sound is how much air can you move

Most of what makes a sub work has been said, but I think it's like this:

RMS Rating = How much power a subs coil can handle

SPL 1w1m = How much sound it will reproduce with 1 watt

Sd = Cone area, how much surface radiates sound

Xmax = Stroke. How much away from rest the cone moves to sweep air

Fs = natural resonant frequency of the sub... typically can help indicate how low it will play, but don't take this literally, much more is involved here!

BL = motor force available for the coil to "work on". If you have a weak magnetic field, all the power in the world won't do shit for you.

So those are the ingredients, you just have to figure out in your mind how they work together. The more air you move, the higher the SPL. The fun part is when you apply these characteristics you might expect one reaction but get another. Add to that how each manufacturer measures everything differently... well have fun with that.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived