Second Skin Audio

4" Voice Coil?

Guest donpisto
RF TRF were and I think they were made by TC sounds.

Treo have some the old RF power hx2 had them.

Same motor (4HP). The TC 5400 uses a 4HP motor, also the 4HP sub itself has the 4HP motor (duh). The old Cactus Sounds subs also used the 4HP motor.

Benifits, and cons of 4" vs 3" coils

4" More power handling - more surface area

3- 4 times heavier than a 3" coil on average

can take alot of abuse over a 3"

3" is more efficient due to weight over 4"

And cost, due to all that steel and ferrite in a 4" motor will cost you about 3-4 times as much, and then the magnet charging costs for electricity, can you say 2-3-4million watts every charge???

Welp, thats about it really, for a ground pounder, cool, but if you want that extra DB, well, how many subs hit over 160db with a 4" coil? not many, over 160db is DOMINATED by 3" coils due to lightness over 4" coils, and 3" efficiency

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

A larger voice coil allows for improved heat disspation, even weight and drive on the cone and helps prevent cone resonances. Older drivers from the 60's and 70's mostly had very small coils (usually 1.5/2" on 15" drivers) and as a result have very 'ringy' cones that tend to resonate during normal use.

A larger coil, through the acts of heat dissapation and power handling, reduces annoying, and for car audio concerns volume losing, Power Compression. The Ramsdell Pro Audio BP-SD21, 21" Band Pass Subwoofer - 'The Sub Engine' has some of the lowest power compression figures in the industry thanks to it's 6" voice coil.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

well spoken Micky ;-)

The first paragraph was just on PA speakers, but yeah.... I always wanted to build a sub that had a super light coil that equals half the cones diameter, for strength, and resonance free sound

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.