DC Sound Lab

Who is the Loudest with 1 DC amp 2k, 3.5k, 5k, 9k, and 12k..

I will be running a 5k to each of my Xls

ooops did I spill the beans :peepwall:

I thought so... Damn it man!

There are a few people out there that run that much power to xls i mean honestly rob had a ab1100.1 on one xl when he first got the crx haha didnt last too long, i had strapped 3.5s on an xl for a while, and there is some other people whos names escape me that have either 9.0s or extremely simular amps on 2 xls.

I ran a 9k to a pair for a season. With my experience I'm trying to get away from overpowering that much to save some cost on the eventual re-cones.

Yeah that's what I was thinking... That's why I'm only gonna give 2 XL 18's a single 5K, cause yeah they will handle it, but for how long? I'd like mine to last for a while...

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

in la last month we had a stetsom 7k to 2 XL 15's there were going to be reconed to a smaller sub so i tried to blow with said 7k

and the result was

DC 1

7K 0

after 30 mins of full tilt we started losing voltage and the amp went into protect 3 times so i turned it off the dc's got stinky for like 2 seconds within the first 5 mins being that i was trying to blow them up i kept going the stinky coil smell went away a minute later and never came back then the amp said NO MORE!!

so that much power to a xl not a problem it was also doing a 151.7 door open

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Mario I would definitely be careful running 1 5k per XL. Even with a custom spider pack to help compensate for the extra power, once the XLs hit 3000-3500w of clamped power you are going to run out of motor and start blowing/breaking subs. I personally do not like pushing my equipment to the breaking point. Right now with the 1 12k running to 6 XL 15s with my voltage starting and not budging from 15.8 at full tilt, I am able to beat on the all day with no smelly coils or any problems whatsoever.

From my recent experience while I was running my Level 3s, once I started to reach motor saturation my subs really started to heat up and get stinky even with perfectly clean power. Once the motor becomes saturated, the extra power has to go somewhere and is burnt off as heat and will start causing problems for you and burn your coils and result in multiple recones being needed.

Good point cj and your right on about useable power.. then heat and coil loss I'm proof lol..... goin to get some new numbers next weekend with a borrowed 9k....and borrowed subs.... watc out its goin to be loud for sure

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

No just hook the charger up to the batteries it will be fine

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Good point cj and your right on about useable power.. then heat and coil loss I'm proof lol..... goin to get some new numbers next weekend with a borrowed 9k....and borrowed subs.... watc out its goin to be loud for sure

Have you thought about trying the standard Level 5s with a different spider pack? The larger motor should keep you from blowing subs. I really think that motor saturation turning extra power into extra heat had alot to do with your sub blowing problem. The clipping you mentioned didnt help either, but I really think the larger motor should do the trick for you, even with the 3" coil.

No just hook the charger up to the batteries it will be fine

even with 16v batts/charger ?

i ask because i used to have a soundigital amp , so im kinnda used to be as cautious as i can to not blow shit up... lol