Sonic Electronix

This article is very misleading :/

And you will find tons of articles stating you can hear the difference.

I know i can tell between D and A/B

Not saying i dont run down, but if i could afford to run at 4 and get the power i need i would.

x2. I don't care how many people try to tell me theres no way I can tell the difference I sure as shit believe I can hear the difference.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

<_<

This "article" is nothing but a big advertizement for JL and Alpine, not that there's anything wrong with them.

The writer is the owner of a car audio shop and they obviously sell those products.

Mids/Highs: stock Bang & Olufsen

Lows: Image Dynamics IDMax 12v.3

Power: Sony Xplod XM-D9001GTR:Knukonceptz 4 gauge

Box: 1.75 cu/ft Sealed

Past: Pioneer Premier TS-W1207 (2)/ Rockford Fosgate P210/ Image Dynamics ID10V.3/ Infinity Reference 311A/ Audiopipe AP-18001D

And you will find tons of articles stating you can hear the difference.

I know i can tell between D and A/B

Not saying i dont run down, but if i could afford to run at 4 and get the power i need i would.

With audio being as subjective as it is, there will always be different stories, true.

You can tell amp architecture difference in sound? or by the means that A/B is less efficient so the excess power affects the system? Impressive regardless.

Lots of amp companies nowadays with full range Class D amps that say you can't tell the difference.

Yes, running at 4 would be ideal in the fact that Class D amps at 4ohms are like 90% efficient so you save a lot on power loss at the very least. As you state, running 20-30kW at 4 ohms would get rather pricey wouldn't it. :trippy:

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Ive tried full range D.

It can not control a midbass like a/b can at high volume

When you start running a 6" at its limit the D will just start to lose control

Ive done straight swaps with both old and new pdx amps vs. My entry level a/b's.

In a truck i drive everyday.

I can just tell when they cant hang like the audison.

And the pdx amp was twice the power.

Ill take 75rms a/b all day over 150 full range D

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I do not think the post of the OP was to say the information was wrong, just misleading. And I believe it is in fact, misleading. No one is arguing points raised by Ray, just that amps stable at 1 ohm run at 1 ohm (although acoustic differences) do not truly pose a greater risk of malfunction being run at 1 ohm as implied by the link.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Im saying the same thing.

Honestly i didnt read the link

Just responding to what the op said.

All his points were correct, not misleading at all.

If the article is saying something different then ill read it tomorrow

Edited by Ray
2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I only skimmed to here. But

This blurb shows that this article is more for new readers.

While being true, the correct terminolgy is not being used.

The problem that many people run into, is running an amplifier with the incorrect impedance. Let’s say we were to use that same dual voice coil 4 ohm subwoofer with a 2 channel amp bridged. When you bridge a 2 channel amp, you hook up left positive and right negative. You might assume you are simply wiring it as a mono amp, which in a sense you are. The important difference that is often overlooked is when you bridge an amplifier, the amp sees half the impedance at the terminal which means that 2 channel amp would see only 1 ohm. This is extremely low for a 2 channel amplifier, it would be unleashing a lot of more power than it was designed to along with very little control which would in turn cause the amplifier to heat up very quickly and shut down going into protection mode. Over time this will damage the amplifier.